Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a 2011 eclipse 2.4 and i remove the ecu from the car

Customer Question

hi doug i have a 2011 eclipse 2.4 and i remove the ecu from the car and then i reinstall the battery, the car stood 2 weeks without the ecu, and when i put it back it doesn't start, it just crank, everything works fine the radio, it unlocks the doors
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

What was the purpose of removing the ecu from the car? Was anything else done at the same time, even seemingly unrelated?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was to reset the air bag module and i thought that was it, but when they receive the ecu the inform me that was the ctu and they dont service that and they send it back
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

So the part you removed was the engine ecu under the hood, next to the air filter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
once-in-a-lifetime remove it I connect back the battery and the car stood for 2 weeks until I received back the ecu
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.
When you turn the key to On, do you see the Service Engine Soon light perform its bulb test for a few seconds?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it stays on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont see any key with lock icon like the immobilizer
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

The immobilizer is really the only thing that comes to mind for me too.... unplugging the ecu wouldn't cause it to suddenly not start when you put it back together though.

Are we 100% certain the ecu is full plugged in, the connectors are locked down, and there is nothing else you might have unplugged in the process and over looked (like the MAF connector on the air box nearby, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
every plug is connected all the way and no i didn't unplug nothing else. btw when i remove the ecu i need it to move the car to the side and when i try to start the car without the ecu the car crank but didnt start, just like now, once i put the ecu back the car starter fine. i move the car, remove the ecu and send them to them. 2 week later i receive it and doesn't start
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Hmm.... and this is a place that only does SRS ecus? I'm almost worried that you might not have gotten the same unit back.
Is there any way you can scan the system to see what fault(s) turned the engine light on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only srs the company is call myairbags i dont have the car with me is at my friends house but tomorrow i can plug the obt and let you know the code if it have
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

This is definitely outside the normal scope of things we see, and I have a feeling there is going to be some unusual variables in play.
If you are comfortable with it, and able to, I would like to regroup after we can check to see what codes are set first, and depending on what we find check for spark, check for fuel pulse, etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that would be great! i can record a video tomorrow so you can see it for your self
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

That shouldn't be necessary.... if it is cranking normally and not starting at all, that is sufficient.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is craking normally but no starting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so tomorrow ill let you know the codes i get thnk you
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, see you then