Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

2001 mitsubishi eclipes no spark new coil pack need help

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
10/7/2015
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

Do neither of the coils spark, and neither new nor old? Or do you have any combination where you would get spark from one coil and not the other etc?

I am stepping out on a break but should return shortly.
If we miss each other:

If you have no spark whatsoever, I would like to check the supply voltages at the crank sensor and the output voltage hile the engine is rotating slowly.

If you have spark on one coil even intermittently, then we would want to first check the timing belt is aligned properly, followed by the above check of the crank sensor and the cam sensor.

I have no spark at all from either side. I put new spark plug and wires because they needed to be done. New coil pack, plug & wires .I didn't think it would fix the problem. Can you tell me what i can do next. Thanks Efrain

If you have no spark from either coil, perform the following inspections:

1) With the key on, unplug one of the coils and connect a DC meter between ground on one lead and each pin of the coil connector with the other lead and see if you have 12V on one wire. If you do not.... double check all of your fuses.
2) If you have 12V at the coils, repeat the same test at the crank position sensor wire near the oil cap. Again if you do not have one wire with 12V AND one wire with 5V, double check all your wires.
3) If you have 12V and 5V on the crank sensor, reconnect the sensor and back probe the 5V wire and test it while rotating the engine slowly to see if you have 5V-0V-5V-0V behavior.

3) We have 12V and 5V but it holds at 5.6V. No 5V-0V-5V-0V

Thanks.

That is a good indication that the crank sensor is not working.... it should cut on/off as the engine rotates and the magnetic field is interrupted. This could be due to natural causes (old age), low quality (we have compatibility issues with aftermarket crank sensors) or inflicted damage (secondary timing belt broke etc).
At this point next step is to take the front end apart and inspect the timing belts and if all looks good and no obvious issues with the sensor/reluctor, get a new genuine Mitsubishi crank sensor on there.

Thanks for the help will be getting the part tomorrow to see if this will take care of my problem THANKS AGAIN Efrain

No problem at all. And again keep in mind we do have significant issues with aftermarket crank sensors.... use them at your own risk, it is a pretty big job to change so you really only want to do it once :) And of course, be sure to inspect the sensor/reluctor/belt etc before you buy the sensor just in case there is something else to consider (Belt broke, at which point sensor is the least of your worries; wiring just broke on the sensor and can be repaired, etc).

Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician