Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

I have a 2012 Mitsubishi Eclipse Covertable. It has 62K

Customer Question
miles on it. It...
I have a 2012 Mitsubishi Eclipse Covertable. It has 62K miles on it. It has been a perfect vehicle, however when I just tried to start it at the market on my way home, the engine had a hard time starting. It finally turned over but what does this mean? I have been told that this particular car runs very well but starts to break down past 60,000 miles. True?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/5/2015
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

If you were having difficulty starting it but once running it ran fine it is most likely just a battery issue or possible starter weakening. Anything engine-related we would expect the engine to run poorly once started as well.
What I would suggest would be to get the vehicle to a shop or at worst an auto parts store and have the battery and starter checked to see how healthy they are (not necessarily if they have failed, but the test results will give a good indication of the health of each).

With regard to the reliability of the vehicle beyond 60k miles, these cars are nearly bullet proof if they are taken care of with regard to maintenance... meaning oil changes done on time, transmission fluid flushed regularly, and timing belts changed at worst every 100k.
The worst thing that happens to these cars that ends up sending them to their grave are honestly poor repair/diagnostic work. Invariably when these get towed in as "basket cases" from another shop it is usually a result of someone unfamiliar with the vehicle diagnosing things wrong and complicating the situation with failed repair attempts, or low quality parts being used to repair issues (often teaming up with the first scenario, resulting in creating new issues). Mitsubishis of this era (~99+) are ridiculously sensitive to low quality components and people regularly end up making the cars unreliable by putting low quality electronics under the hood.... coils fail from time to time like any car, but when we see for example cheap coils installed they will regularly fry the computer; we see cam or crank sensors fail periodically, but then a cheap sensor installed to fix it leads to more problems than they started with and rather than identifying the new part as the issue it is assumed it is "something else" and then the whole situation just snow balls as more and more variables are created changing parts that don't need changing etc.

Basically... lack of knowledge of the vehicle by the person working on it is the real weakness. Otherwise these cars will typically run forever. They are a little maintenance heavy having timing belts to change and transmissions that are a little picky about fluid schedules etc... but overall if maintenance is kept up and incidental repairs are diagnosed/performed correctly as needed, there is no reason to expect any lesser performance or reliability at 260k miles than at 60k miles. For most people the biggest complaints on these cars at high miles are the paint and the interior door handles :)

Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician