Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Is there a way I can send you a photograph of a part I'm

Customer Question

Is there a way I can send you a photograph of a part I'm trying to identify on my 2011 Outlander?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.

Absolutely.... you can attach the image here or if the site is giving difficulties (The image uploader seems to not work for some people) you can upload to imgur.com (free site) and post the link here and I can help you figure out what it is.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm looking to get the product code for a piece of trim on the drivers seat of a 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander GX4 (Top spec, I believe it's an XLS in the states?0. The car is RHD and in the UK. The current piece of trim is broken and is showing the metal and bolts underneath. The seat is electric.
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.

Thanks.... is it the plastic covers that go over the 14mm bolts holding the front of the seat to the floor?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't think it's as simple as that, as the bolts I can see go in to the side of the seat rather than the floor. And I believe the plastic covers you mean are quite small and only cover the very ends of the frame. This broken part seems to be much longer.
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.

Can you get a photo of the exact part/area of concern? The only picture I got before was of the whole interior and I can't make out anything obvious in it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry, this is the only photo I have. I have cropped and zoomed in for you the best I can. You can see the bare metal and some corrosion etc
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.

Ah, got it! I see it in the original picture now, I couldn't make it out before but knowing what I'm looking at I get it now.
Let me do some checks on LHD versus RHD application for that trim... It should be the same, but we want to be sure of course.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Doug. I've been looking at exploded diagrams of the seat but I can't seem to find a part that looks anything like it!
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.

It almost looks like something is weird going on there.... there should only be one in board trim and that is the one that covers the mounting bolt. Those two bolts you can see in your photo look out of place.
Is there any way we could get another photo from closer or from the front? It would really help. The attached is the "usual" cover panel that goes there on manual seats (power ones use a larger panel across the front entirely), but it looks like your area of concern is a bit rearward of that anyway.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It does seem strange, as thats the part i found too. Unfortunately the car is at a dealership at the moment, I should be collecting it this weekend so I'll get some photos of it for you as soon as I can. I think it must be a slightly different seat design to the ones that you and I have the diagrams for, thats all I can think must be the problem! This is definitely a long piece of trim that goes from the front (the bit you can see at the left hand side of the bare metal is a broken part of it) to pretty much half way along the seat, if not more.
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.

Well what I'm wondering if it is either of these situations:
-Something modified from the original (like something was added or added then removed making it more conspicuous)

-It is normal but just the rust is making it more conspicuous (though from your description it sounds like something used to be there)
-It is a third party power seat conversion (which would explain why it isn't in the parts catalog that something would be there)

Let me ask you this, thinking about that third possibility:
Do you have power recline for the seat back, or only the seat base is power? The reason for asking being that factory power seats have power recline, and many aftermarket conversion power seats do not.

Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.

I'm stepping out for a break but will be back shortly. Perhaps we should regroup maybe tomorrow if you can get a closer few pictures?
Let me know, I will be in for several hours tomorrow.