Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

My 1999 mitsubishi montero alarm will not let me start it

Customer Question

My 1999 mitsubishi montero alarm will not let me start it and keeps going off
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.

There are a few different systems used on this era truck for factory/port installed alarms. Please try these in this order:

1) Hook up the battery and make the alarm go off.

Insert the key into the ignition then look on the left side of the dash (left of the column) for a ref LED button that is slightly raised. Press and hold on the red LED button while turning the key to Start position and the starter should engage and the alarm turn off. If it does not, the button may be defective (common), and you will need to skip to step 3.

2) If you do not have the red LED button, connect the battery and make the alarm go off. Then with all doors closed, use the key to unlock the doors (not the remote) by inserting into each door lock cylinder and turning to Unlock twice. The alarm should turn off.
3) If neither of the above apply, your last ditch effort is this: Unhook the negative battery terminal. Insert the key into the ignition and turn it to On. Reconnect the negative battery terminal. The alarm should no longer sound.

For 1999 models one of the above should resolve it, depending on which system is installed. If you have no luck with any of the above, then there is likely something malfunctioning in the alarm and it will need to be taken to an auto electrician to see what is going on with it preventing the factory disarms from working.