Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2002 spyder 3.0 water pump went bad made timing belt jump 8

Customer Question

2002 spyder 3.0 water pump went bad made timing belt jump 8 teeth on bank 1 put new belt and water pump in with new crank sensor .now when engine comes off high idle will not accelerate bogs and smells like rotten eggs from exhaust
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Are there any codes int he computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No codes no pending codes
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

Unscrew and unplug the two front o2 sensors. Try running it. Is it any better?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When u say two front o2s do u mean born banks sensor ones, the cats are not clogged if that's what ur after I can accelerate slowly and get high rpm if I hit gas hard it bogs
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

The bank 1 and 2 sensor1. The ones closest to the engine. Remove them and run it. How does it do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same thing will not accelerate .when cold start it is fine after high idle warm up problem starts
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

I cant tell from here. Ill opt out and see if another expert will help out.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Different expert here.

Ok, causes of bogging down coupled with rotten egg smell are very few - catalytic converter failing, very poor quality fuel, fuel pressure regulator.

Crank engine over a couple of times and then remove the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator - if fuel comes out of the vacuum hose or vacuum hose port on the regulator, replace it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Runs the same no fuel in vacuum hose
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, if you have a fuel pressure gage, check the fuel pressure and let me know what it is with key on and engine off, as well as at idle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
60 psi not running,do not have a t fitting for this fuel system. Could the crank sensor or cam sensor cut off fuel or injector .no problem when cold. Seems to start when go in closed loop ?..
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Would be nice to see the pressure at idle. With engine on ignition on, it is about 5psi too high, which does indicating a binding valve in the fuel pressure regulator

Crank and cam sensors signals could cut off signal to coils but not injectors or fuel pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will get adapter for fuel line and text u back.its just weird that it will accerate find until it comes off high idle
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

It sounds fuel related and we need that pressure to see where we need to go with this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi ok ends up disturber was bad.either it was losing spark or injector pulse?? I not sure but now it runs great.but I am getting cam sensor code and crank sensor code.p0350 p0400. Went over timing marks and crank sensor relucter all looks good any ideas.this car is whopping my ass .thanks