Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a Pajero Sport the touch screen radio has suddenly

Customer Question

Hi Doug I have a Pajero Sport the touch screen radio has suddenly started jumping to one FM channel from all the modes. If I am listening to a CD it will start the CD and then jump to the FM channel it would then not give me a menu option other than if I change the mode on the stearing?
Suggestions please?
Regards
Danie
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Hi Danie,

Any time you are going to be seeing behavior like this on the radio where it is changing modes etc, you are really going to be reduced to only the radio itself or the wheel controls being at fault. This is excluding of course if there are unusual variables in play (like aftermarket electronics piggy-backed into the radio wiring etc).

I would check your buttons on the wheel and make sure they feel completely normal, particularly in relation to the mode button when compared to the others, making sure there is no evidence it is sticking. If all looks well, double check your radio touch screen that there is no signs of damage or any staining on the screen (certain sticky residues will make contact issues). If nothing outstanding is found, it is likely the radio is failed.
For final confirmation you would want to get the vehicle to a dealer that can then monitor the wheel inputs to see if they are operating normally electronically... their scan tool will show on/off operation as the button is pushed which will verify/condemn the switch and wiring up to the radio. If no anomalies are found, the radio will be at fault.

With the radio found faulty, Mitsubishi would take the radio and get an exchange unit for you (They don't replace these radios due to the high cost, rather they send them out for repair). It usually takes up to a week for a replacement to come in once the problem is confirmed by them, then it only takes about a half hour to change it once you return to get it installed.