Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

I'm looking to purchase a 2001 montero sport and the the

Customer Question
owner says it has to...
I'm looking to purchase a 2001 montero sport and the the owner says it has to be left in a/t mode. Should this concern me. It has 165k, new tires, timing belt and brake job done within the last 10k miles. Should I be concerned about the a/t issue
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
9/12/2015
Mitsubishi Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Yes, you should be concerned with the reason they believe it has to be driven in a/t mode. A/T mode forces the transmission to take off in second gear and if there is a reason it can't be driven with the trans in the normal mode then it may be slipping in first gear. I would recommend finding out why they say you have to drive it this way, and for you to personally drive it in normal mode to see what happens. It's possible that internal transmission work may be necessary.

Let me know if you need any more help.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician