Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

The service engine soon light cme on in my 2004 endeavor.

Customer Question

The service engine soon light cme on in my 2004 endeavor. It's running "choppy"
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also how big of a repair is this?
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Is the light on solid or is it flashing too?
Can you elaborate on it running choppy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's solid. Its running a little rough. Not as smooth as usual. Can't get any more descriptive sorry. Almost like out of timing or something
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.
Most commonly we'll see coil failures on these cause a roughness to the engine operation.
Are you able to get The truck to an auto parts store for a free code scan (don't bit any parts, just get the code numbers)? With literally dozens upon dozens of possible failures to turn they light on, speculation is not terribly accurate, and getting the code number(s) would definitely speed up the process and reduce the risk of unnecessary parts being replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can do that, thanks. If it is one of these coil failures how expensive is that to fix
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay, I'm having my afternoon Florida storm and have had power cutting in and out.
Give me a few minutes to type up some instructions based on the results.
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Lets get that checked out first.... if there is a single cylinder misfire, then what you will want to have done is have the cylinder with the misfires coil moved to a different location, then clear the fault and see where it returns. If the fault is on the same cylinder, then go back in and move the plug to a different location and again clear and see where it goes.
If the misfire follows the coil, replace the coil; if the misfire follows the plug, replace the plugs (set preferred).
If the misfire remains on the same cylinder regardless of moving parts, then more in depth analysis would be needed (compression tests, injector tests etc).
It is important to note that if you have a coil failure you MUST use Mitsubishi coils. Aftermarket coils are known to cause problems on these engines, sometimes even blowing fuses when brand new etc. Avoid them at all costs. A factory coil is around $130 typically.
If you find there is some other fault other than a misfire, then we would need to re-group based on the code that was set.
Realistically... when it is running rough like it is down a cylinder etc, it is pretty often a coil or a plug. The plugs are common to get used beyond their usable lifespan because access is so terrible on the rear, and the coils just plain fail sometimes.