Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Lancer: Greetings. I have a 2009 Lancer 2.0 Automatic

Customer Question
Greetings. I have a...
Greetings. I have a 2009 Lancer 2.0 Automatic with the following codes:
P1773: Malfunction of ABS/ASC
PC102B: Abnormality In R. Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit
U0184 - Audio CAN Timeout This code showed up in the A/C System, Electronic Time & Alarm Control system, the Meter and Occupant Classification Module.
I'm also getting a B1A08 & B1A09 Codes: Hand Advanced Security Transmitter Key 1 & 2 Failure.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
7/31/2015
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
The C102B should be a straight forward wheel speed sensor... we change these out ALL the time as they are a common failure point. The sensor is built into the wire, and the reluctor is built into the hub, so there isn't really anywhere else to go with it except huge long shots... and again they are so common to fail, it is pretty much a guarantee when those codes come up that the sensor is bad.
With regard to the B codes.... if you push the lock or the unlock button on each remote 3-4 times in a row then clear the faults, do they reset?
With regard to the U0184 fault, is there an aftermarket radio installed? If not, is there any malfunction from the radio at all?
Yes, he has an aftermarket radio in the vehicle. By the way, thank you for such a timely and quick response.
By the way, the codes would not reset after pushign thetlock or unlock button on the remote. Additionally, he only brought one remote as well.
Thanks... I apologize for the delay just there, I didn't get a notification on your first reply.
With the aftermarket radio.... that is normal to see the U code. The CAN bus is configured for the radio, and the other devices on the bus are just reporting that they can't see it. It won't turn any lights on or anything, but if it is bothersome a MUT scan tool can fix it (the Verus can not unfortunately). They will need to access ETACS then Option Coding and under "Audio" and "Display Audio", turn both to "Off/disable".
With the remote situation... when you did the lock operation on the one remote you do have, did still both 8 and 9 codes set again after clearing or just one of them?
They never cleared at all after pushing them 3-4 times and resetting them with the scanner.
Thanks.
All things being equal... there are no variables added to the mix like a breathalyzer interlock or aftermarket remote starter wired in there etc... At this point you will need a MUT scan tool to go any further with them. The codes are indicating that the rolling code is out of sync, which pretty much puts you down to just a KOS unit or faulty keys. If the keys are at fault -usually- you can cycle the buttons several times and it will re-learn position. With that not happening, it makes it more likely to be a KOS ecu, however to test further you would need a MUT to reprogram the keys. If the keys reprogram without issue, then it is more likely the keys simply both failed. If the keys program but still throw faults, then the KOS ecu will be at fault.
While it is unusual to see two keys fail together like that, it is even more unusual to see the KOS ecu fail. I can't recall but maybe once or twice ever having to change them. The keys on the other hands are pretty common to go bad. Two at the same time is just a bit suspicious is all.
Again with the speed sensor code just change out the indicated sensor and you will be fine... we do these all the time, I have one sitting on my desk right beside me as we speak, if I go a week without changing one of these on this model, something is wrong. They fail a lot.
Replacement is straight forward, just a 10mm bolt holding the sensor in, two 12mm bolts holding the line to the frame, then some unplugging/unsnapping of clips to remove. The ABS lights will go out on their own after a dozen feet or so, but you will want to clear them manually with your Verus anyway so they aren't still stored faults if something else happens next week etc. You will also want to go into the transmission controller and clear it as well, as this is where the P1773 ghost code sets to turn the engine light on.
Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician