Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

Have a 2000 Mitsubishi diamante LS accidentally pushed the

Customer Question
sunroof button upwards to make...
Have a 2000 Mitsubishi diamante LS accidentally pushed the sunroof button upwards to make it vent while the inside cover was still closed now the inside cover or the sunroof won't slide back think inside cover is off track how do I fix it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
7/30/2015
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
The sunshade operates independently of the sunroof as long as the glass is either closed or tilted (when opened it is forced open too of course).
What exactly is going on with each piece? The sun shade will not slide at all? The sunroof glass, is it stuck in the tilt up position or will it tilt up/down but not slide, or?
The sun shade will not slide back at all and the sunroof won't slide back either the sunroof will pop up and close down but won't slide back.
Thanks.
When you try to slide it back, does the rear edge of the sunroof drop down to retract into the roof, or does it not drop at all? If it does not drop, what if you place light pressure on the back edge of the roof (downward, from above)?
I will try this.
Ok when you try to slide it back the passenger side drops down, driver side drops down just a little not as far down as the passenger side
Thanks.
This means we have either a jam in the mechanism (debris inside etc) or the cables are shot.
Unfortunately to get a look at the area we have to remove the glass, which means opening the sun shade which if I understood right, doesn't move.
If you try to push the sun shade back, can you see it hanging up anywhere? What if you gently pull down the head liner on the rear edge, can you see the cause for sticking?
it is definitely the sun shade I just don't know how it got jammed but it is causing the sunroof from opening, it is like the sun shade slides on a track and somehow it has come off of the track.
Hmm... how good of condition is the shade in? Is there obvious physical damage to it anywhere? Or more to the point, is it worth saving or could be forcibly remove it?
The shade normally will not interfere with the roof operation, but if something got stuck back there/above it of course all bets would be off.
well the sun shade is in good condition, I don't want to have to rip it out.
just got the sunroof working again, you helped me to get it working, now I have gone and messed it up again
should I just cut the headliner it was hanging anyway
Hmm... if you pull down the rear edge of the head liner, can you reach in and behind the sunshade and feel if anything is loose back there etc? When you try to slide it for example, can you feel it hang up on one side or anything like that?
I wouldn't cut the head liner, as the foam behind it will be needed if you ever get the thing recovered so you don't want to mess that up if you can avoid it.
ok what rear edge
one thing I can tell you is that when the sunshade is closed and you slide the sunroof back the sunshade moves back with it but now that the sunshade won't move back the sunroof won't either because the shade is jammed up on something I am going to see if i can stick my hand through the shade and the headliner and see what is happening
Oh okay, that is a bit interesting. The shade should move independently, so the roof not moving is probably the reason the shade won't move like you though... it just isn't supposed to be that way.
See if you can feel anything back there, and also try if you can flexing the shade a little to see if you can free it from the sunroof... it is only supposed to catch on the front edge when retracting (it drags the shade with it, but is not physically attached).
Ok
I should elaborate, with regard to the flexing to see if you can free it, see what you can do with this around the front edge.... since the roof just has a lip that drags the shade back from the front edge, there is a high probability it is hung up at the front end of the shade.... if I were to guess of course.
Got sunshade to move back there are U clamps on each side of the sunshade they slide along a groove they had come out of the groove I put them back in sunshade slides but sunroof is not dropping down even to slide back passenger side drops down more than drivers side.
Have to stop now it's getting ready to rain
No problem, we can pick up when the weather improves. Being able to move that shade out of the way is huge though, as we can get a better view of what is going on in there with the roof to see if there is an obstruction or anything.
Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician