Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Galant: Hey, how you doing, just yesterday my service

Customer Question

Hey, how you doing, just yesterday my service engine soon light came on, my odometer stopped working, and speedometer stopped working
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Do you have access to a code reader or an auto parts store you can take it to for a free scan? It is almost certain that the problem that turned the light on is the same one that caused the speedometer and odometer to stop working (like a speed sensor fault etc). We really could benefit from having the code(s) set to better figure out what happened.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's what I was leaning towards, I was just more curious if I knew which speed sensor it was. I'll stop by a parts store and see if they'll be able to scan it for me. Thank you
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
If I had to speculate, I would say the output sensor... either the sensor failed or the fuse popped etc. There are certainly many other possibilities though, that is just what I would most expect.
Lets get the code scanned first and see what we have there, but do -not- buy any parts, just get the code numbers and leave it at that.
We have a serious issue with aftermarket speed sensors not working on these cars, so even if it does come back as a speed sensor, we won't want to get one from there anyway.
Let me know what the codes indicate and we can continue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got it scanned and it came back with code: P0720 output shaft speed sensor output
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Well that's pretty definitive!
What I would like to do at this point would be to unplug output speed sensor and check for voltage with the key on. One wire should be ground, one 12v and one 5v. If the 12v is not present, then double check your fuses... This is especially true if you recently plugged in a insurance discount tool or other device to the obd port, as these can blue a fuse resulting in your symptoms.
If the 5v is not present, anticipate wiring damage (out computer failure, that is super unlikely though).
If your voltages are okay, then expect a faulty sensor.
The output speed sensor is on the top of the transmission underneath the battery area... There are two very similar sensors there, both held on with a single 10mm bolt... The one near the engine is NOT the output sensor, they output sensor is farther away, again under the battery area.
I can not emphasize enough... If you need the sensor you must get one from Mitsubishi, aftermarket ones do not work reliably.
But again... Either check the voltages or double check your fuses at the least before considering sensor replacement, as there is the chance the fuse just blew etc.