Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4x4: I drive a 03 Mitsubishi montero

Customer Question

I drive a 03 Mitsubishi montero sport and I want to get bigger tires, what is the biggest tire I can get without a lift?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.

Which size wheels do you currently have on your Sport? If you are unsure (or you know they currently have the wrong size), you can post your VIN and I can determine which you had originally and we can see how large you can go.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
255/70 r16
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

The largest you would want to go on those wheels would be to 265/70R16. That will give you zero problems. If you wanted more you could do a 265/75R16 or 270/70R16 (good luck finding that size though)... however this would NOT be completely without conflict. You would anticipate light rubbing for example when you are turning and either going up/down a ramp OR under heavy braking (so the vehicle dives). In these situations you would expect rubbing of the wheel liners.

To go any larger than those will cause certain rubbing issues... you would need to lift the suspension to accommodate any more safely, and depending on what size you were after you may need to switch to a different offset wheel or a wheel spacer. At that point it is a trial and error situation though. For the safest results without any damage and without needing a lift, stick the sizes listed above.