Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Lancer ES: I have a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer. It is

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer. It is an automatic and when i put it into drive it is stuck in 3rd gear. I have already replaced the wheel speed sensors. I ran the codes and it pulls p1777.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Hi,The P1777 is in relation to an internal issue in the transmission, nothing with the speed sensors unfortunately. Are there any other codes setting at the same time?If you clear the code, does it come back right away or do you have a delay of any amount before it sets again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It comes back right away. There are 3 different reasons it could be pulling that code. Do you know which one of these is the best to address first?
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Generally speaking, it is usually going to be the valve body... the alternative being the wiring or TCM, neither of which are too common to fail.Is there any back story to how this condition came to pass? For example right after accident repairs, maintenance, accessory installation, etc?
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
I am stepping out for a bit, so in case we miss each other I am going to attach the factory test instructions. As you'll see by looking at them.... there isn't much to expect except the valve body. The tests will involve verifying continuity across all associated wires, and if all are intact, then replacement of the valve body (it includes the stepper motor). There is no test for the TCM, it is only replaced as a last resort (since it is nearly impossible for it to cause this fault, as the failure that would occur would usually prevent it from detecting a failure and no code would set).Note that while you can put a used valve body in, it can NOT be done without a factory scan tool. The valve body needs to be programmed to the TCM and recalibrated, which requires a MUT3 scan tool -and- access to Mitsubishis internal dealer support (to download the configuration file for the valve body). If you just throw one in and try to drive it you can do irreparable damage.... so if the wiring checks out and you are in need of changing the valve body, I would strongly recommend letting the dealer do it since they will be required to do the configuration anyway. The valve body doesn't take but 30 minutes to swap out otherwise.