Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Mitsubishi Eclipse GS: MY 1999 ECLIPSE will crank over but

Customer Question

MY 1999 ECLIPSE will crank over but i only get a spark on #2 and #3 spark plugs, I have replaced the crank sensor and cam sensor. Its a 2.0 non turbo
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Hey there, thanks for the question. Sounds like you need a new coil, these coils have 2 packs, 1 that drives 1 & 4 and the other cylinders 2 & 3. If you have a voltmeter you could verify this, otherwise I would simply just replace the coil and you should be good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I put a new coil on and it didn't do a thing there is no signal going to the second half of the coil
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried to get the dealership to diagnose the problem and their machine couldn't connect to my computer
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
You said there is no signal going to half of the coil? Does that mean you have a meter?
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Black/red wire should be contant power.
The brown wire should be a ground pulse which is firing the coil for cylinders 2 & 3
Then the black/blue wire should do the same for 1 & 4.
Now if you could scope the cam/crank signals sometimes a dirty signal (crack in the magnet, damaged signal plate, ect) will cause your symptoms and you can pick this up from the square wave signal.
The ECU is providing the ground pulse signal to coils on the specified wires based off the cam/crank signals it's receiving. So if the wire is damaged or driver bad then it won't fire.
Generally though it's more concerning when only 2 cylinders are not firing properly, especially if your getting a constant signal at the trigger wire because the ECU is highly probable at that point.
Let me know how else I can help. thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a probe. That shows the pulse going to the #2and #3 plugs yet nothing going to 1&4 plugs
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
in that case, simply review my PREVIOUS reply which addressed that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where is the driver located that provides the ground to fire plugs
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Hey sorry for the delay I just seen this. The driver is inside the ECU (engine control unit) some call it the PCM or ECM. same thing.
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Let me know how you made out. If you need additional help let me know, if not just be sure to leave a kind rating so they credit me for my time. thanks.