Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GTS: My 2005 mitsubishi eclipse spyder…

Customer Question
My 2005 mitsubishi eclipse spyder...
My 2005 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gts 3.0 broke down on me while driving it died and wouldn't start back up. Cranks no start. I replaced timing belt, and crank pos sensor all the plugs but still crank no start.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
Battery is brand new, starter and alternator all under 6 months old.
7/3/2015
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Was the timing belt actually failed (stripped/jumped/etc) or just replaced for good measure?
You mentioned also the battery and starter being new...are you having problems with the engine even cranking, or does it crank fine but not start?
It has a small burr on it and I'm at 86k so I replaced it. The engine cranks but it isn't the normal cranking sound. It seems alot louder. It will crank and then like stop and all the lights die. (When I jumped it to see if battery was shot)
My crank position sensor was broken in half, that's why I replaced it.
Thanks.
What caused the sensor damage?
It was a small washer that came out of timing belt cover. Fell down and I guess hit the cps.
Thanks.
Was there any damage to the reluctor blade on the back of the crank gear (bent, rotated on the gear to a different position, etc)?
Would it be possible to get a compression test, at least of the three accessible cylinders? Most auto parts stores loan these out if you do not have a compression gauge.
There was no damage to anything accept the cps. Yes I can get a compression test tomorrow. I took the timing belt cover off and had wife crank it. Every thing is moving fine. Also I tried to crank it again and it cranks normal sounding but then it just stops kinda like when you have a dead battery. I will get diagnostics and compression test tomorrow. I was trying to narrow it down. I can't hear my fuel pump kick on now either. Is there a trick or better spot to listen for it?
I was a diesel mechanic for 4 years in the Marine Corps also so I have a little background but not with mitsubishi.
Thanks.
I don't want to rule out the possibility something happened to the timing knowing that one of the bolt spacers (presumably) had fallen in there and hit the crank sensor. We can strap any part we want on to the outside of the engine but if the belt jumped etc and it wasn't noticed, nicking valves etc, we will never get anywhere. Having the strange stopping/slowing of cranking makes this even more concerning.
Going back to the crank sensor however... this is a moderate area of interest, and something we can look into prior to the compression test. Is the sensor you installed a Mitsubishi sensor or aftermarket? The reason I ask is that Mitsubishis do not get along with aftermarket hall sensors at all... and it may be that you fixed the problem when you installed it, but just created a new one with the same component.
If you can do so tonight, are you able to check the spark consistency while cranking and the injector ground pulse while cranking?