Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Mitsubishi Mitsubishi 300GT VR4: Just started an overhaul on…

Customer Question
Just started an overhaul on...
Just started an overhaul on my 1991 mitsubishi 3000GT VR4, like to know what small upgrades can be done to enhance h/p performance with a limited budget.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
6/30/2015
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Unfortunately there isn't really a lot you can do without a pretty substantial budget, when it comes to thinks done during an over haul.
The biggest bang for your buck would be to have the heads ported while it is apart, however a 3 or 5 angle port job is going to add potentially $1000 to your over haul... hardly budget minded. You would see the most improvement over anything done during an over haul doing that though.
You could also put in more performance-minded cam shafts while it is apart... but again you are talking about a $800-1000 increase in your costs and that is just a baseline for the cams. Meaning you would also want to upgrade your springs/retainers at the same time, adding a few hundred dollars on top, and for most people putting in upgraded valves which adds a few hundred more. And then on top of all of that you would need a tune to make the most out of them and keep the engine safe, so a few hundred more there. Before you know it, the cams are going to be $1500 on top of your over haul costs, and -most- people when getting that involved with the heads will go ahead and have them ported at the same time.
There really isn't anything else you would do during over haul that would build more power.... if you are considering increasing power output regardless, then it would make sense to put in aftermarket connecting rods and forged pistons to keep the bottom end safe at increased power levels... but again the budget, doing so would easily add $1500 to your over haul costs, less what you might have been spending on those parts anyway if they were being serviced.
If the engine is being built on a budget, it is best to keep to stock as anything beyond that will increase your costs exponentially once you get outside of just bearings/rings/seals/etc.
To make more power down the line, consider upgrading your charge pipes and intercoolers, switcing to a front mount set up, and if you haven't already getting a custom exhaust done for better breathing down pipes and center exhaust. These are the least expensive but most rewarding modifications.
Perhaps further down the line upgrading turbos and getting a custom tune. These things can all be done after the over haul though. During the over haul your only real areas of concern are bottom end components and head components, and as above neither areas are particularly inexpensive... if the budget is tight and the vehicle needs to be back on the road, it is best to stay stock. If your budget is tight but the dead line isn't, then I would consider letting it wait while funds can build up to allow for more options so you can build it how you want, rather than how you need.