Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Thanks! My 2003 Spyder Eclipse suddenly stopped blowing cold

Customer Question

Thanks! My 2003 Spyder Eclipse suddenly stopped blowing cold air through the ac. Just a blast of hot air now. What's going on?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
When the engine is running and you turn the a.c. on do you hear a click under the hood a moment later signifying the compressor engaging?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I don't think that I hear a click Doug.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.
Are you experiencing the ac light flashing at all, or is it remaining lit solid?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It remains solid.
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Great.
In the days leading up to this, did you notice any change in the a.c. efficiency?
How about any change in behavior (different noises in the dash perhaps, waiting longer for it to cool down, etc)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, didn't notice a thing Doug. It just cut out today, rather suddenly.
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.
With the light not flashing I would be most inclined to think that you have probably just reached the point where enough refrigerant has leaked out to cause it to not be cold.
Is there any chance you know of anyone with a set of AC gauges?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks doug.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I'll have to go to a service center.
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
I understand.
Most shops will have a flat fee for AC check up, which will consist of evacuating the system and measuring how much comes out, then vacuuming and recharging with dye and refrigerant. This is your best course of action at this point... it is most probable that you are low on refrigerant from the behavior, and in any event step one will always be verifying the proper charge level (As all other tests on the system will be skewed if the charge is incorrect).
This will also put dye in the system so if/when a leak is confirmed, it will be easier to locate (the shop can use a UV light to find the dye after a few days of operation).
If you need more help or there is anything else I can do to expand on the subject just let me know.