Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Outlander ES?: , I have a 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander and I was wonderiing if there is a way to lock the car, while it is running? I have a ten minute doctors appointment out of town and have no one to watch my dogs, so I need to bring them. I don't want to keep them in the car with no air. When I leave the car running and take the keys, it just peeps and I cant lock it. HELP, please tell me there is a way???? THanks Jennie
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jennie,
That is a pretty good question.... I assume you have the full wireless system (where you don't have to put the key into the ignition)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Right
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I really hope there is a way??
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Great.
There is almost always a way around it, but I've found you have to play around with it as they really don't want you to do this (you're effectively locking your keys in the car, which of course in most cases is a bad thing they try to make impossible).
Is the car present so we can try a few things?
What I would like to do is have you start the engine and leave the key fob in the center console ---but remove your metal emergency key and put it in your pocket!---.
With the engine running, exit the vehicle and close the door.
Then go around to the passenger door and open it, then push the lock button on the passenger door.
Do the locks lock and not unlock? If yes, close the door... do they unlock or remain locked?
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Success?
If not let me know and I will see if we have any other work arounds.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I got it. Thanks for the idea. Here is how I did it. I turned the car on, took key out of the FOB, put the driver side window down, got out of car, close door, reach in and lock doors, than push the drivers window and it will automatically go all the way up. Thanks so much. I thought maybe it was a weight bearing issue on the seats, but it wasnt. AGAIN, thanks for everything. Jennie
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
No problem at all Jennie! That's a pretty smart trick too, I'll have to remember that one :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** great night.
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome, you too!
(when you issue a rating it will conclude this session, however if you need to reach me again about this you can always contact me here)