Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Montero Limited: I have a 2005 Montero with infinity

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Montero with infinity oem radio. It has a factory dvd player. I tried to splice an aux in the 13 pin connector but unfortunately severed other wires. Ill just buy a new harness but I dont kn ow where its routed to. Please help.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
What is it exactly you are needing help with? Where the particular harness goes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, where do I plug the 13 pin to? I traced it down to under the drivers seat but thats as far as I can go without tearing up the carpet.
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Let me do a little research on that as I'm not sure off hand what the 13 pin connector is (I'm assuming the end you have access to is behind the radio).
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
I'm not seeing anything with 13 pins in the areas you describe.
Can you please clarify for me what the connector plugged into and list the colors of the wires there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its a 13 pin din as they call it. Its for the cd changer. But my montero came with a dvd player instead. Its for the sound only as the dvd plays fine but since the wires were cut, there is no more sound. What I tried to do was splice a red and white wire with rca ends so I can hook up my tablet. It is very hard to re-connect them as I dont sod nor do I have time to sod. So my solution is to just replace the entire harness. But I dont know where it ends. Ive attached the male connector to the back of my infinity oem radio.
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Oh okay, that makes more sense!
You definitely would need to replace that if it has been cut open... there is no real successful way to repair it without getting tons of noise/feedback... those DIN cables are super sensitive.
There are two DIN cables. The DIN cable for the amplifier runs all the way to the drivers rear corner of the truck.

//f01.justanswer.com/ref/http_i.imgur.com/jKHpUxO.jpg
The one for the video controller stops beneath the driver seat, it the video controller is mounted beneath the seat.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Right, now I need to know where exactly the video controller goes to. That is the harness I need to replace. I already traced the amp harness to the rear. I
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
I apologize, I misunderstood. I thought you had traced the cable from the radio and lost track at the seat, not the other way around.
The video controller DIN cable goes to the back of the radio, and follows the same course as the amplifier DIN in the previous picture:

//f01.justanswer.com/ref/http_i.imgur.com/uetfRl0.jpg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Doug, the amp din continues across the drivers seat, under the kick panel and goes all the way to the amp at the back. The video controller din stops under the drivers seat. Let me rephrase the question then, where is the video controller module located? Thanks
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
The video controller is right under the seat.... where that plug goes in. If you do not see it there, then it would be missing. Note that this part incorporates the TV tuner... if you have rear seat entertainment without TV tuner, it is possible for this to not be there I suppose... though I would be surprised (especially with the cable present).

//f01.justanswer.com/ref/http_i.imgur.com/aFHJxnR.jpg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see. So then the other end of the 13 pin din is not the same? Do you know where I can purchase one of these?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I mean the 13 pin harness for my montero.
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
The other end goes to the radio and is a DIN connector on the other end as well.
This would be either a used cable purchase or a dealer only part for new; it isn't a cable you would find at best buy or anything like that. You may find someone that makes replacements out of bulk electronics parts if you are lucky... I've had to do that on a few DIN cables in the past. Never on one as so narrowly specific as this one though (3 year production range, and then only on vehicles with RSE. Not a big market there).
It looks like you would want harness number MN173073 which is a bundled harness. It includes the 6 pin amplifier, 13 pin video, and 20 VCU harness as one assembly.
The harness is about $200 and there is literally ONE in the country (NJ warehouse).
I would say finding a used one might be worth looking around, considering what you are paying for two cables you don't need, plus the availability being sketchy (with only 1 showing, an inventory error is certainly possible).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
wow, I will try my luck and try to fix my cable. Thats kinda steep.
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Yeah, if you needed all of it, then it would be one thing. But you are paying for two cables you don't even need, that's a tough pill to swallow.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did some research and the part actually is MR461094. Found a mitsu parts selling it for $103 w/ shipping, still kinda steep but I'll bite. Thanks
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Don't do it!
MR461094 is only 350mm long, that is the one that goes from the radio to the optional CD changer just below it!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the advice. Well I think Im just going to try and repair the cable myself. You know of any compatible cables? I saw some kenwood and clarion 13 pin cables.
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
I've seen 13 pin DINs, but they are usually break out cables (switch to RCA etc) and not end to end DINs. I also don't know if the pin array is standard or not on that cable (they sometimes use ones that don't fit anything but their stuff). This is such a rarely used cable, I just don't know if it is a standard format or not... but considering all I am seeing are break out cables anyway, I would imagine probably not.