Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Mitsubishi Montero LS: will not pass a smog and 5 cencer will…

Customer Question
will not pass a smog...
will not pass a smog and 5 cencer will not kick in i have ran this truck up and down the freeway 4 times i have gotten 120 more miles on this car
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
6/4/2015
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 3 years ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist
what monitors need to be run??
just driving the car will not set monitors. it is a very specific way of driving that will make the monitors to run.
you had a bad tps sensor?? was that the only repair made??
Roy
Yes thats the only thing that wouldnt pass the man reset the sensers now its 5 that they say isnt ready for a smog
yes, they must be all set to pass emissions.
look at this for a drive cycle.
Roy
Answer:
The good thing is that the rest of the Emission Monitors are READY. The EVAP monitor only operates during the first 30 minutes of engine operation and requires that the fuel tank level be between 1/2 and 3/4 full. So ensure that you perform the drive cycle when the engine is cold, and if performing the Mitsubishi Drive Cycle on public roadways take extreme caution. It is at time difficult to maintain the required speeds and drive cycle pattern in traffic.
Begin the Mitsubishi Emission Monitor Drive Cycle:
STEP 1. Begin from Cold Start, and ignition key in OFF position for at least 1 hour. Insure your Mitsubishi Montero's fuel tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 full. Engine coolant temperature must be below 122°F and within 11°F of the ambient air temperature.
STEP 2. Idle. Run engine (do not drive) for 2 1/2 minutes with the accessories on (air conditioner and rear defroster). The ECU will run the Oxygen Sensor Heater self-test and EVAP Purge "No Flow" test.
STEP 3. Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and rear defroster and begin driving your Mitsubishi Montero. Apply half throttle until 55mph is reached. The ECU will now begin the EVAP Purge Flow test.
STEP 4. Hold your speed steady at 55mph for three minutes. During this time the Oxygen Sensor O2 response, Air Intrusive (AIS System), EGR Flow, Purge Valve, Misfire Detection, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
STEP 5. During this step slowly let off the accelerator pedal. Do not brake or shift in order to slow down. It is important to let your Montero coast along gradually slowing down to 20 mph. The ECU will once again self-test the EGR System, EVAP Purge System and Long Term Fuel Trims.
STEP 6. Accelerate again at 3/4 throttle until 55-60mph is reached. This will perform the same self tests as during the first acceleration step.
STEP 7. Hold steady speed once again. This time at 55mph for five minutes. During this time the ECU will perform the catalyst monitor diagnostics.
STEP 8. Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in the first deceleration step. Remember not to press the brakes or shift gears.
This ends the Mitsubishi Drive Cycle. Performing the drive cycle at least twice, or using your scan tool check to see if one drive cycle set the EVAP monitor to "Ready".
posted by SmogTips Supp