Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Mitsubishi: my sunroof is stuck completely open.how do i get…

Customer Question
my sunroof is stuck completely...
my sunroof is stuck completely open.how do i get it to close
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/2/2015
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Hi
What sort of vehicle is this?
Montero Limited
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Thanks.
I assume this is a late model (2001-2006)?
When you push the sunroof switch, what happens exactly? (click and grind I get... any movement at all, twist, etc)
2003 It just grinds and won't move.
The noise seems to be coming from the top left front area.
Give me a minute so I can go out to the vehicle. can you call me at(###) ###-####
No problem if you want to double check.
I am unavailable for phone calls at this time.
There are two possible causes here... we could have a roof motor that has simply fallen loose (happens pretty frequently), or there could be an actual jam in the cables.
Are you comfortable with some minor disassembly to check the motor installation, and if it is tight remove it to try to slide the roof by hand?
I tried to move the roof by hand and it won't move
Do I need to drop the headliner.
I will cover the roof tonight with plastic and contact you tomorrow in the daylight.
No you do not need to drop the headliner entirely. Pop the lens out of the dome light and remove the screws holding it on, then take the trim channel off that goes around the perimeter opening of the headliner and you should be able to pull the headliner down enough to see if the motor is installed tight or not... again they come loose sometimes and it will be fairly obvious if this is the case.
If it looks tight I would like to remove it... this will require pulling the headliner down farther and you will need to take the visor clips out (insert an 6mm allen wrench into the hole in the center to release them). You should then be able to pull the liner down enough to reach in there with a socket and ratchet to remove the motor and try sliding the glass by hand.
No problem at all, we can pick up tomorrow if you wish.
Ok thanks. Because it is so dark out here in the country. I will get on it as soon as I get home. Good night.
No worries, good night!
Doug. This is Stanley. I am back in the Montero with the sun roof problem. I dropped the headliner a little so I could see. There is a screw that has fallen out of the motor on the left side. It has dropped down too far to put it back in. Whats my next option.
Ok. Thanks for the advice. I was able to fix it. The instructions you gave me were right on time.
Fantastic!
If I can do anything else for you just let me know.
Now all i have to do is figure out why the dome light won't come back on.
I think I figured it out. It needed to be grounded. Thanks again and good night.
No problem at all, you have a good night too!