Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a customer with a '08 Eclipse, not GT. A/C switch works…

Customer Question
Have a customer with a...
Have a customer with a '08 Eclipse, not GT. A/C switch works and only on fan speed 1. But no air blows. Once u go to the remaining fan speeds the blower works but A/C light shuts off. If you turn the fan speed switch between 1-2 you can get the fan to blow and A/C to work. Is this the problem with the resistor causeing these symptoms?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
6/2/2015
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

You are right on the money, you need a new blower resistor.

One of the ways the system protects the compressor is to cut power to the compressor if the blower motor is not working... and the way that the system tells if the blower motor is working is via a tap to the low speed wire to the resistor. This way if the fan is on low of course power is run to the resistor and the tap shows voltage to the ecu, but when the fan is on higher speeds the power back feeds through the resistor to send the signal to the ecu.

When you have a burn out on the #1 resistor speed the power still reaches the tapped line and the compressor is allowed on, but the fan does not operate since the #1 resistor is blown. When you go to a higher speed you bypass the #1 resistor so the fan works, but the back feed to the tapped wire no longer sends power to the ecu and the compressor turns off.

I made a diagram of this a while back that helps illustrate it better:
graphic
Get that blower resistor changed out and you will be good to go.

Is this a standard part for this vehicle? Or are there multiple options? It's manual climate control so assuming it's just one option from the dealer? Do u have a part # ***** chance so I can order it from someone online?

There are two possible options, if you provide your VIN I can get you the exact part number and a source to order from online.

Waiting to hear back from the customer and I'll get it over. thanks

No worries

VIN 4A3AK24F88E006973

Thanks Matt.

For vin 4A3AK24F88E006973 you will want to order resistor part number MR513289.

This is the version that is available aftermarket too (the other design is not), however the Mitsubishi ones are often cheaper than the aftermarket ones, and are low enough anyway it makes sense to just get the genuine part.

The resistor MR513289 lists for $26.20 and should be available at pretty much every dealership... it is a standard failure part just about everyone will stock. I can check availability if you provide your nearest dealership name(s) for me just in case.
If there are no dealers near you or prefer to order online, you can do so from Mentor Mitsubishi and they will sell at 25% off MSRP... not much on a part this cheap, but it will help offset the shipping a little at $19.65.