Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Lancer ES: my Lanser 2003 started jerking while

Customer Question
Hi my Lanser 2003 started...
Hi my Lanser 2003 started jerking while I was backing out of parking spots, then while on idle on stop signs and red light. Tonight while I was backing out slowly from a parking spot the car th turned off. I was able to start it again, but jerking happened again on stops and when accelerating until about 25 miles an hour, can you help me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
5/30/2015
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
What is the current mileage on the vehicle? Does the engine seem to rev okay in park, or does it exhibit issues throughout the operating range of the engine when still?
Hi. The car has 91000 miles on it. It doesn't jerk on park, but I still feel something, maybe I am being paranoid, but when in put the car on park on red light it doesn't jerk
Thanks.
Do you know when the timing belt was last replaced (they are due every 60k)?
It was replaced about a year ago
Great.
Are you experiencing a Service Engine Soon light? If yes, is it solid or does it flash ever?
No, No lights are on
Thanks.
Is the problem easy to reproduce? For example, if you start the engine and let it idle in Drive with the parking brake on/wheels blocked, will it be readily obvious?
It usually starts doing it right away, like when I pull out of my parking spot I feel it, and the more I drive the more it happens. But I have tried it with being parked on drive with parking break on. In the beginning it was barely noticable, but every day it happens more often.
Have NOT tried it with parking break on
Lets give it a try and see, as there is a test I would like you to perform that requires the problem to be occurring while you are outside the vehicle (either with the parking brake set/wheels blocked, or with a helper on the brake pedal).
So I just start the car, put it in drive with breaks locked ( that's the stick/handle I should pull up between the front seats?) and see if the jerking happens then?
Correct. If it does, then I have a test you can do that might help narrow things down (no tools required, but will involve unplugging some things under the hood), if you are comfortable doing so.
Ok I just tried it and when I first started the car it started jerking right away and it looked like it was about to turn off, then I locked the breaks and it stoped jerking and was ok
Well that is interesting... you were only using the parking brake, or were you pressing on the brake pedal too when it cleared up?
No just the parking break...and the battery is only a year old on it too
Thanks. The clearing up is likely coincidental then I would suspect, as there isn't any real connection between the parking brake and the engine to speak of.
Unfortunately if it is not able to be reproduced while sitting still like that it is going to make it very difficult to identify the cause via basic means.
How recent was the last tune up (plugs/wires/boots)?
About 2.5 years to 3
That certainly could be an area of concern... how many miles do you think since? Would you be able to pull the plugs out for inspection?
Probably close to 35.000 but no more then. 40.000 I probably won't be able to pull the plugs right now, its 11pm here, sorry
No problem. I am on the east coast too and nearing the end of my schedule today anyway.
These are 15k mile plugs (original spec plugs anyway), so this could be a potential concern.
Lets get those plugs pulled tomorrow and see what they look like, if the gap is substantially spread or if there is any damage etc.
If you are able to get it to act up while idling (helper inside holding the brake maybe), I would also like to try unplugging one injector at a time and seeing if any of them do -not- cause the engine to run worse/stall (helping to identify a weak cylinder etc).
Ok that sounds good, I will try it tomorrow. Should I just keep typing in the message tomorrow?
Correct, just respond back here... do not open a new question or "re list" this question or I won't be able to see it.. When you post here I will be emailed and if I am not at work yet you will be put in my queue for when I get in.
Ok great, thanks so much, good night
You're welcome
Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician