Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Eclipse: 2006 eclipse gt. I changed my timing belt

Customer Question

2006 eclipse gt. I changed my timing belt and car won't start know. No spark and no fuel. Logic tells me it's the crank shaft sensor. Changed still no dice, so I bought a new ecu still no dice. I've know unplugged crank sensor and it is getting 12 volts to red wire and 5v to green and red wire. All relays have been tested and are good. Only problem is when I test 20 amp fuse by relays it's not passing power through, obviously it's the fuse is good it's something that powers it.am I heading in the right direction?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Before anything else, is the old ecu back in the vehicle currently? We don't want to create more problems by triggering the immobilizer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have the new ecu plugged in. Do I switch it back?
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Please switch it back first, as the ecu has both a VIN coding and immobilizer information in it that will prevent the engine from running if swapped from another car.... we are creating more issues with the spare ecu.
With the old ecu back in, go back and double check you still have 5V and 12V on the crank sensor wires. If you do, then please back probe the 5V wire and plug the sensor back in, then rotate the engine clock wise by hand and tell me what your voltage readings are as the engine is slowly rotated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your patience, almost finished.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When engine is rotated green and red wire drops from steady 5 to 1.2 and lower then goes back once engine stops.
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.
Normally we would expect to see 5V-0V-5V-0V operation... were you turning by hand or using the starter? If using the starter that is an OK reading then (it is too fast for the meter to keep up).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
By hand trying to go slow and steady but honestly since it's hard too move, movement was kind of jumpy if that makes sense
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok put extension on my ratchet and it's easier to move slowly. Lowest it goes to is .30 then back to 5
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After doing this green red is know stuck .30 and not jumping back to 5
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
It won't come off .30 no matter how much you rotate it?
Silly question perhaps... but you didn't somehow get the crank sensor installed upside down did you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When rotated it jumps back to 5, know it's at 5 volts steady when not rotating. Definitely on right, Sensor head is on crankshaft teeth.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To be clear it goes from 5 -.30 5 - .30 or .30 - 5 -.30 - 5
When rotated. What's wired to me is sometimes it's at 5 volts not moving and others it's at .30 not moving. Is it whether it's sensing crankshaft teeth ?
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
There should be broader spots on the reluctor at 120 degrees which is where the voltage changes. It is normal to stay at one or the other depending on where it stops.
Do you see any activity on the tach when cranking?
Do you have access to a live data scan tool you can use to see what RPM the computer is seeing (if)?
You mentioned a 20A fuse before that had no power, can you get a photo of its location? I doubt it is relevant (as the one of primary interest is for the cam/crank sensors, and they have 12V already), but certainly worth exploring anyway.
Also, can you double check you definitely do not have spark or fuel injector pulse, just in case things may have changed (if you checked with the new ecu for example)?
I need to step out on my break (almost an hour late already), but will be back in about an hour to check in.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok no problem, see you in an hour with all the new info
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Left side of photo is front of car. 20 amp fuse fourth from front of car will not pass voltage.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/Rbn7goa.jpg[/img]
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
[url=http://imgur.com/Rbn7goa][img]http://i.imgur.com/Rbn7goa.jpg[/img][/url]
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As of know no spark or fuel. Tach doesn't move when cranking. No live data scan tool.
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your patience.
That is odd about the 4th fuse, that would be the MFI fuse (fourth one back on the long row of fuses). If it has no power, the crank and cam sensors should have no power either as that is where they get their 12V from.
Assuming there is no power going to that fuse, can you please check the large fusible link hanging off the side of the positive battery terminal and make sure it is intact and passing voltage?