Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi montero: I have a unique question. I own a 99 Mitsubishi

Customer Question

I have a unique question. I own a 99 Mitsubishi Montero sport. The battery was disconnected & the stereo wants a code to turn it back on..?? Do you by chance know thus code?? I do not have the owners manual, it did not come with the car when I purchased it. Thank you, ***** *****
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.

I can definitely help you out with this Amanda. These radios do all have unique codes so I would need some information off the radio... this can be either very easy to get or a little difficult. Being a 1999, it is possibly the more difficult design, but I can walk you through it if that is the case.

So first things first... I need to know what style dash you have. Looking at the two pictures below, which number appears more like your dash (disregard the aftermarket radio, we are only interested in the dash shape/trim around the radio which looks cosmetically similar):
graphic
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Image 1

Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. That is the more difficult one as I suspected, but that is OK. You just need a philips screw driver to get the information we need.

Directly underneath the radio is an ashtray I need you to remove. Pull it straight out, and if it catches on the way out you can just reach a finger in the top and press down on the tab then it will slide all the way out.
Looking underneath the ash tray opening, you will see some philips screws holding the ash tray "rails" that the ash tray slid on. Remove the screws and take the rails off.

Again looking up underneath, you will now see there is a hole cut in the dash board in this area, so you can look up at the bottom of the radio. The hole is lined up directly over the chassis sticker.

On the stick I need the serial number exactly as it appears on the sticker, and I also need the model number (MR######).
Once I have that information I can retrieve an unlock code for your radio and will provide instructions on how to input the code.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is going to take a bit

Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
No problem at all. Just post back here when you are ready and you will be queued up for me. Do not open a new question or I won't see your response... just reply back here.
If you need a longer amount of time (a day or two, etc), that is fine too.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK thank you

Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome