Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

Car fires on 1&4 replacd cam sensor still fires on 1&4 still

Customer Question
have code 340...
car fires on 1&4 replacd cam sensor still fires on 1&4 still have code 340
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
5/11/2015
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

What model and year is the vehicle?

2003 lancer es

Thanks. I apologize for the delay, I'm having major lag in my notifications today.
Please take the oil filler cap off and have a helper crank the engine while you watch through the hole. Do you see the rockers moving up and down inside the oil filler hole when the engine is cranking?

yes has new crank sensor and belt

Thanks, ***** ***** definitely have movement inside then (it is important to check that, as we have seen the actual cam shafts snap, so the belt can be good and turning the cam gear, but there is no movement inside the head)?

It turns tries to. Run on two cylinders

Is this an aftermarket cam sensor you are using? If so, do we have access to a genuine one (new or used)? We have a huge issue with aftermarket cam sensors on Mitsubishis... and given the code you are setting, it is pretty much going to be either the new sensor is no good, the belt is timed wrong or the cam is not turning on the back side due to fracture. Nothing else apart from your wiring being hacked up or other rarities would cause that.
The two cylinders having spark are of no interest to us at this point since we have a P0340. P0340 is saying the computer doesn't agree with the cam sensor signal... either due to its timing (be it wrong or not spinning) or its square wave quality. In any situation where the cam sensor signal is suspect, the computer shuts down one coil.

Wiring looks good ill get a new cam sensor from dealer I can buy wholesale

If we are certain the wiring is good and the belt timing is right, I don't see too much else to look at there.
You were able to confirm full movement inside the head right? Sometimes it is easier to remove the cam sensor and look in the hole there while cranking to make sure you see the reluctor turning.
Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician