Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi MNTERO SPORT: 1999 MITSUBISHI MONTERO SPORT, I INSTALLED

1999 MITSUBISHI MONTERO SPORT, I INSTALLED A NEW BATTERY AND NEW CABLES,IT HAD BEEN CRANKING WITH A BOOST.WHEN I TRIED TO CRANK IT WITH THE NEW BATTERY IT ACTED LIKE THE ENTIRE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM WAS GOING THRU THE EMERGENCY FLASHERS BUT THEY WERE NOT ON.DID NOT CRANK.I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE SOME TYPE OF ANTI THEFT DEVICE, I HOOKED UP MY SCANNER BUT DID NOT SEE ANYTHING TO BYPASS. I HAVE A CUSTOMER COMING TO MAKE AN OFFER FROM OUT OF TOWN LATER TODAY. PLEASE HELP.

Look on the left side of the steering column for a small LED button.
Unhook the battery then reconnect it so that the hazards are going off.
Insert the key into the ignition.
Push down on the LED button (it only moves 1/16" or so, but it does move) and while holding it turn the ignition key to Start.
The alarm should cancel and the engine will start.

If your LED is missing or broken the alternative, though not ideal, is to remove the negative battery cable, insert the ignition key and turn it to On, then reconnect the negative battery cable.
This is not the safest route (as fuses can pop), however it is the only alternative to using the LED if it is not there.