Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Endeavor LS: i am trying to install a nav system

i am trying to install...
i am trying to install a nav system in my 2006 endeavor. what are the three separate plugins on the factory stereo for?
8/10/2013
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

It depends on which audio system you have. Do you have the standard or amplified system?
If you are unsure I can find out if you provide your VIN.

I am not sure, I have 3 plugins on the back of the factory stereo. I think it is amplified because two of the plugins have the red and black wires.

my vin# XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you

No problem, let me pull your VIN so I can see what stereo you have then we can identify the wiring.

ok

Okay, you've got the amplified 7 speaker system in your Endeavor. On a side note you also have an open recall for your shifter to replace a portion of the interlock cable at no charge.

Now with regard to your plugs and Navigation , are you installing an add-on navigation and you just need to identify some of the wires or are you replacing the factory radio altogether? The reason that I ask is that this is an amplified system and is not a "quick" install.

I am replacing the factory all together with a new Alpine INE Z928HD nav system. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me, thats why I'm asking for the best possible advice.

Thank You

No problem at all.

With a complete replacement on this vehicle you need to run new wiring to the speakers. The reason for this is the amplified system does not have any compatible adapters to re-use the amplifier.... so you need to run your speaker output wires from the new radio/nav to the speaker wires located at the amplifier (in the passenger kick panel area at the end of the dash).
You will not be able to re-use the factory subwoofer safely.

If you are OK with this, I can plot out all of your wire identifications for the radio and at the amplifier so you can plan your attack. It will take a while to get all of them ID'd for you, probably a half hour to an hour if that is OK.

Ok, yes that is a of work but with you help I feel confident I can get it finished. I'm ok with waiting for you to get the ID's.

Thank You

No problem.

I am starting on it right now, I'll post back as soon as I have everything down for you.

Ok, Thank You Doug!

Okay, thanks for your patience.

I am posting a diagram of each connector before the wiring identification. Please be aware that the pin numbers on the diagrams are as viewed from the back of the connector, the side where the wires go in. Not from the 'business end'. All pin outs are always viewed from the back/wire side of the connector.

graphic
1 - White - Multi display wiring
2 - Black - Multi display wiring
5 - Green/Orange stripe - Right side steering wheel resistance controls
6 - Brown - Multi display wiring
7 - Red - Multi display wiring
10 - Green/Black stripe - Left side steering wheel resistance controls

Note that none of the C110 wires will be used for an aftermarket installation.

graphic
14 - Green/White stripe - tail light input (auto dimmer)
20 - Blue - Accessory/Ignition on power
21 - Red/White stripe - Constant/memory power
22 - Black/Yellow stripe - Rheostat (manual dimmer, typically not used on aftermarket radios)

graphic

31 - Pink - Amplifier
32 - Brown - Amplifier
33 - Green - Amplifier
34 - Red - Amplifier
35 - Brown/White stripe - Amplifier
36 - Pink - Amplifier
37 - Yellow - Amplifier
40 - Black - Amplifier
41 - White - Amplifier
43 - Gray - Amplifier
44 - Light Green - Amplifier

Note that none of the C113 wires will be used for an aftermarket installation.

So with that information, you are going to use the C105 wiring to hook up your constant power, your ignition/accessory power. If you have a dimmer wire, you will connect it there too, and if you have a rheostat wire (almost no aftermarket units have these) you would connect it there as well. Note that most people leave both the rheostat and the dimmer wire disconnected which provides full brightness on the new radio at all times.

When you removed the radio you probably noticed that there was a long bracket bolted to the dash support with a 10mm nut. This is the ground for the radio. You will need to take the ground wire from your new radio and run it to this stud and bolt it down there. The factory wiring does not have a ground wire, it grounds through that bracket so you need to run the ground wire there.

At this point you should have all of your speaker wires left on the harness of the new radio to connect. All other wires that are not connected (rheostat, power antenna, etc) should all be safely taped off. You should not have any loose wire ends back there that do not have protective tape over them.

For the speaker wires we will need to extend all eight speaker wires over to the passenger end of the dash to the amplifier. The amplifier is located here:
graphic
Unbolt the amplifier and pull it down to unplug it.
The amplifier has two connectors on it, an 18 pin and a 12 pin. The 12 pin is the wiring from the radio that we will not be using so you can ignore it altogether.
The 18 pin looks like this:

graphic
1 - Gray/Red stripe - Right Rear speaker negative
2 - Yellow/Blue stripe - Left Rear speaker positive
3 - Red/Blue stripe - Left tweeter positive (unused or crossover to left front positive)
4 - Blue/Red stripe - Right tweeter positive (unused or crossover to right front positive)
5 - Black/Red stripe - Right Front speaker negative
6 - Blue - Amplifier power UNUSED
7 - Black - Ground UNUSED
8 - Gray - Subwoofer negative UNUSED
9 - Yellow/Red stripe - Right Rear speaker positive
10 - Gray/Blue stripe - Left Rear speaker negative
11 - Orange/Blue stripe - Left tweeter negative (unused or crossover to left front negative)
12 - Orange/Black stripe - Right tweeter negative (unused or crossover to right front negative
13 - White/Blue stripe - Left Front speaker positive
14 - Black/Blue stripe - Left Front speaker negative
15 - White/Red stripe - RIght Front speaker positive
16 - Blue - Amplifier power UNUSED
17 - Black - Ground UNUSED
18 - Yellow - Subwoofer positive UNUSED

You can leave the amplifier installed or take it out entirely, but you must leave it unplugged. Connect the speaker wires for left front right front, left rear and right rear speakers to the identifications above.
The left and right tweeters you can wire in parallel to the front speakers (just wire the left front positive wire from the radio to both left front positive wires on the amp for speaker and tweeter and so forth) or you can get a crossover installed in between to split the signal.... or just leave them unhooked etc.
Do not connect anything to the other wires on the amplifier connector. We are only interested in the four primary speakers and their eight wires, and the tweeters if you choose. The power, ground, and subwoofer wires will be left untouched, as will the other electrical plug on the amplifier. Again the connectors must be left unplugged from the amplifier as well.

I can't emphasize this enough.... when you are done wiring things up, make sure everything unused is taped up. If you have wires from your radio harness or an adapter harness that are unused, tape them. Even if they are cut clean with no exposed wire, they will find a way to short out if you do not tape up the ends.

If you have any questions just let me know.
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

Hey Doug, on my 2004 endeavor, I have to hook the radio up to the parking break and the brake pedal. I need to know which wires and where those wires are. Thank You

Relist: Other.
I need the answer asap.
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Doug will not be on till later this evening. If you give me a few moments to look over this I will help you out.

yes thats fine

graphicThese two wires that i circled?

I don't have those wires on any of the connections from the stereo.

OK For the footbrake lead anywhere on the green wire for the brake switch which is the switch attached to the brake pedal.graphic
That first diagram I posted was from pioneer for this head unit. Should be the same one in the manual that came with the head unit.

I have that on my head unit, which is Alpine. I need to know which factory wires I hook those into.

Now on your parking brake switch its a little trickier. You can catch it at connector C04 above the brake pedal under the dash as well. It is on pin 13 and is a yellow with green stripe wire.
Let me know if you need further help.
graphic

OK let me try these and hopefully that's all I need. Then I'll rate you so you get paid. Thanks

No Problem. I will be standing by if you need anything further.

Yes I do. For the reverse lights. I almost forgot.

Alright. Just a minute. Let me get a diagram.
OK You can get to the reverse lights on the driverside area of the dash connector c32 pin 4 red wire with a blue stripe.
graphic

ok. let me try everything .

OK. I will be standing by if you need anymore help.

OK, so I have everything connected but I'm still having problems. I called Alpine and the tech told me the reverse light was probably running hot constantly. Is there another wire that only gives voltage when the car is in reverse only?

Give me a moment to double check my diagrams.

OK.

Yeah I definitely gave you the right spot. Its only live with the vehicle in reverse.You certain you got the right connector and wire?
Is that the only problem you have? If so you can use a test light or multimeter to verify its only getting power with the vehicle in reverse.What is going on? The backup camera stuck on?

Yes backup is stuck on.

If you unhook your orange and white wire from the car does it turn off?

Yes

Do you have a test light or multimeter?

No. But I did hook up to the red/blue wire that goes into the reverse light bulb and it works. So I can just leave it hooked up there?

Yeah. You may have got the wrong connector up front. I was just trying to save you hiding some wiring.

Well I appreciate it, but this stereo is a pain in the tail, and ive been working on thing for a week. So I'm just gonna leave it like it is. Thank you

No problem. Let me know if you need any further help. Where its at is fine. Just a little extra wire. It will work just fine.

OK. I'm finally finished. Send the rating so I can pay you. Thanks for everything.

No problem. Thank you. Enjoy it :)

I haven't gotten the rating yet.

I will post this as an answer. That oughtta straighten it out
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner

hey Wayne, a while back I was installing a nav system in my 2006 Endeavor. I had to wire the system in to the foot-parking brake, and the brake pedal. Now the brake light stays on in the dash. I was wondering how to remove this. With the light on, it keeps me from getting into my system settings. Any idea of what could be the problem?

Thanks

Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner