Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Mitsubishi Galant ES: How do you remove and replace the starter

Customer Question

How do you remove and replace the starter on a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant 6-cylinder automatic?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

labor time at a shop with benefit of a lift is 0.9 hours. without a lift and having to jack up car and crawl underneath for part of the work, figure about 1.5 hours.

Here are specific directions:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Detach the air-flow sensor assembly connector and remove the breather hose.
  3. Remove the resonator retaining nuts and remove the air intake hose and resonator assembly as required.

NOTE
Use care when removing the air cleaner cover because the air-flow sensor is attached and is a sensitive component.

1. If equipped with Active-ECS suspension, remove the air compressor as follows:

1. Detach the two electrical connectors, from the compressor.
  2. Disconnect the air line at the compressor.
  3. Remove the three mounting bolts, securing the compressor to the chassis.

1. Raise the vehicle and support safely.
  2. Remove the engine undercover.
  3. Detach the starter motor electrical connections.
  4. Remove the starter motor mounting bolts and remove the starter.
  5. The installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Tighten the starter mounting bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (31 Nm).
  6. Connect the negative battery cable and check the starter for proper operation.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Here are specific directions:

NOTE

2. Remove the engine undercover.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

if you have any questions on this, feel free to ask for more help, otherwise please click the accept button to pay for services rendered per customer agreement as this is a paysite and the expert is not paid for their time or services until you do so. thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's midnight now so I'm going to try removing it tomorrow morning. Thanks for the quick reply but I have to see if it works before I can accept it. I'm sure you understand.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

no problem. I am here all day tommorrow, so if you hit a snag, just re-open this question and I can walk you thru it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Cool. I'll definitely reply to you if I hit a snag. I do have one question before I get statred tomorrow. How do I know for sure if my car has an ECS-suspension? I bought it 10 years ago and its the first I've ever heard of it.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

if yours has ECS suspension, there is an air pump in the engine compartment, as well as when you turn the key to on, you should see an ECS light on the dash