Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

why does seat belt light stay on

Customer Question
why does seat belt light stay on
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
1/29/2012
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

What year and model vehicle is this?

Is it just the seatbelt light in the dash cluster, or is it a seatbelt light in the center of the dashboard?

Are any other lights coming on?

Thanks
the year is 2000 eclispe my friends car do not know position of seatbelt light if left on runs down battery
Thanks.

So the seatbelt warning light is on at all times, even when the keys are not in the vehicle?
The seatbelt light is the only noticiable light
And the seatbelt light is on at all times, even when the keys are not in the vehicle?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what the conditions are right now.
Seatbelt light is on even without keys being in car he has taken out the battery keeps running down battery is new has been recharged
Thanks.

Did anything happen prior to this condition occurring? Any recent repairs, accessories being installed, or even having had the car jumpstarted? Anything worth noting that happened just prior to the problem showing up is what we are looking for.

Is there anything else on the car that is not functioning correctly?
Not to my knowledge were there any repairs the car was jump started after rundown of battery the heater coil is bad and radio missing
Thanks.

Just our of curiosity, if you buckle the driver seat belt, does the light go out?
no light is continueous
Thanks.

At this point it appears that your ETACS module has failed in the car. The ETACS are known for both failure and parasitic draw conditions. The permanently lit seatbelt light is a bit of a new one to me, however the light is completely controlled by the ETACS module, as shown in the schematic below:

graphic

As with any electrical malfunction... while I don't see it being any issue with this situation aside.... you should go over ALL of your fuses to make sure there is not a popped fuse somewhere. In some scenarios you can have a popped fuse that allows voltage to bleed over from one circuit to another. It is not real common, and again in this situation I don't see it being an issue, however it costs nothing to check and is cheap insurance. Go over all of your fuses both under hood and specifically in the dash, pulling each one, one at a time, and visually inspecting.
If all fuses are OK, you are going to need to replace the ETACS module. The ETACS is fairly easy to replace, it simply snaps in to the back of the in-dash fuse box. The ETACS run in the $200 range at the dealership (give or take depending on your exact model), however used ones can be installed as well at a savings. There is no coding or programming that needs to be done, they are simply plug and play you only need to match the part number correctly on the donor part to your original.
Just on a whim, one last thing you can check is that the ignition switch is not bleeding current over either.

If you remove the column covers (philips screws) you will have access to the electrical ignition switch on the left side of the column... unplug the large six pin connector on the back of the ignition switch and see if your problem goes away. Looking at the schematic, I am curious if the ignition switch is bleeding current over, keeping the ETACS awake in error.

If there is no change with the ignition switch unplugged, then proceed as advised before.
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician