Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

2003 mitsubishi eclipse: infinity..cd changer..what the wiring color

Customer Question
I'm replacing my 2003 mitsubishi...
I'm replacing my 2003 mitsubishi eclipse infinity 6 disc cd changer Model MR587252, ref no. CQ-EB6260L. I need to know what the wiring color is for the two harnesses (one has four wires, the other 6 wires). I also need to know what the two jacks and the 6 pin connector are for. Thanks
Completly Clueless
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
1/3/2012
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

Just so I understand the goal, are you adapting an aftermarket radio to the vehicle and that is why you need the wire colors/functions, or is there another issue/reason?

Thanks

Yes, the orginial died, and I'm replacing it with a DUAL XDMA6415. So I need to know what goes to what and if I need to get any "adapters" to get the new one installed.

Thanks

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX wanted to make sure we are on the same page.

There is a good chance you are going to require an adapter to install this radio rather than cut/splice, as you *should* have an amplifier that requires a special adapter.

If you can check under the passenger seat to confirm this and see if there is a large black box underneath it, or provide your VIN so I can verify on your build sheet that would be great.

There is no black box. The vin is: 4A3AC74H73E018648.

Hmmm.... that is interesting, as your build sheet shows you do have the amplified system, and your description of a 6 pin connector sounds like the amp harness.

Are you certain there is nothing under the passenger seat? Did the radio used to work and now it doesn't or was the car just purchased (perhaps amp was missing)?

It's important we figure this out, as the next steps can vary greatly depending on the amp status.

You can reach under the seat and normally feel a metal box, which may have a ribbed surface, it is about 6"x10". Also you can sometimes see it looking under from the side of the seat with a flashlight, this is where the wires come out of it.
both seats have wiring underneath coming out from a "bulged" shape beneath the seat. No ribbing. Each looks different, so perhaps it is there. I thought it was just the motor that runs the seats.
Hmm.

Well we could have had an amplifier there that was bypassed (they fail a LOT). The box will be mounted on the floor, not to the seat, in case that was unclear. In either case the solution would still be the same.

For the sake of safety and the easiest solution, you are going to want to purchase an adapter kit for this radio which will avoid needing to cut any wiring. The adapter will connect your primary plug from the radio to the new radio's plug. The smaller secondary plug from the old radio will not be used (it is for the display on the top of the dash which only works with the factory radio).
You will likely have two antenna jacks on your old radio (the metal bullet cables). The larger one you will plug into the new radio, the smaller one you will simply tape up. Certain models had dual antennas, one fender antenna and one glass antenna, others had one or the other. If you have both, use the large one that will fit directly and just tape up the smaller. If you only have one antenna, it will be the large one anyway and will just plug in to the new radio.
The round DIN cable is the feed for the amplifier. You will plug this into the adapter that converts the DIN cable to four RCA jacks, which will plug in to your new radio.

Here is an example of the cable you need:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120707003/Receiver-Wire-Harness.html?tp=2977
graphic
Note that it says for "Infinity System" as you indicated originally. This is so that it includes the DIN adapter for the amplifier wiring.
If you did NOT have the Infinity System, the kit will be a different one that does not come with a DIN adapter and the main plug has more wires (used for speaker wires not used on amplified systems).

Get the adapter kit and life will be much easier... just match up the wire functions from the adapter kit to the same functions on the new radio (both will have instructions showing each) and there will be nothing to cut etc.
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician