Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

Car alarm on 2001 Mitsubishi montero wont go off

Customer Question
car alarm on 2001 Mitsubishi...
car alarm on 2001 Mitsubishi montero won't go off
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/6/2011
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

There are two different alarm systems that were used on the Montero and they have two different ways of being canceled.

For late models, the cancel switch is built into the drivers door, and to turn the alarm off simply connect the battery so that the alarm goes off, then insert the key into the door and turn it to unlock twice.

On early models, and for 2001 most likely the one you have, the cancel switch is in the dash. On the left side of the dash, left of the steering wheel will be a small red LED. This LED doubles as a button. Connect the battery so the alarm goes off, insert the key into the ignition, press and hold down the LED while turning the key to Start. The engine should start and the alarm will turn off.

It is worth noting that these vehicles were common to have aftermarket alarms added pre-sale at some dealerships, and they are not factory systems. This is because the vehicles came either with two different lock system layouts, and in some configurations it was 'cheaper' to add an aftermarket system to the car. In these instances these are not Mitsubishi components, and all bets are off as far as figuring out what system it is, and instructions for it (if the company is still in business). The above instructions are the only --factory-- alarm disabling techniques and if they do not work, you may either have an add-on system or there may be something malfunctioning in the system preventing it from being disabled.
Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician