Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi radio unlock codes for 1996 Mitsubishi Montero Sport

what is Mitsubishi radio unlock codes for 1996 Mitsubishi Montero Sport

In order to get an unlock code for your radio, I will need the serial number and if possible the model number from the radio.

For a 1996, your radio should have an ashtray mounted directly below it similar to as shown in this picture:
graphic

To access the serial number, open the ashtray then squeeze the inside flap and pull to fully remove the ashtray.
Look underneath the ashtray opening and you will see two philips screws holding the ashtray track to the dash; remove these screws.
Pull the ashtray track out of the dash and you will see a window cut into the dash and there will be a white sticker on the radio showing through.
Provide the serial number (sticker will show "SERIAL NO.:________") exactly as it appears on the sticker, and if possible the model number (will show MRxxxxxx) as well.

I can then provide an unlock code for you, and if required instruction on how to unlock the radio.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The vehicle is actually a Montero SR. The ashtray was not located underneath the cd player is was located in between the seats. I was ble to pull out the cd player anyways and get the serial number and the model number.
Serial number is:95A12216
Model number is:MR268234
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Serial number is:95A12216
Model number is:MR268234
Here's a little more information just in case: Reference number is:CQ-JB0510A
Label number is: YEFM01769
Ah yes, the Montero SR is definitely different from a Montero Sport! The instructions I gave were for the Sport model you described in the first post. I am glad you were able to get the radio out on your SR without incident.

For your radio the unlock code will be:

8824

To input the code, the radio must display "codE".
Input the code using preset buttons 1-4. Each press of a preset button will increase the corresponding digit in increments of one. So for example you would push:
Preset button 1 nine times (0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8)
Preset button 2 nine times (0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8)
Preset button 3 three times (0-1-2)
Preset button 4 five times (0-1-2-3-4)

Once the code is correctly displayed on the screen as 8824, you will need to push the unlock button. This varies by radio but is always either CD, AMFM or TAPE. There is no penalty for pushing the wrong one as long as the code is displayed correctly. When pushed, the radio will beep and turn on.

----

If your radio does NOT display "codE" but rather displays "oFF" from too many failed code attempts, you will need to clear the error memory on the radio. To do this, you need to turn the key to ACC or ON, turn off all accessories (AC, lights), and turn the radio on so that "oFF" is displayed.
Leave the vehicle to sit for at least one hour, after which time the radio display will go blank. Do not touch the radio or the ignition key until the radio display goes blank. Once the display goes blank, you can turn the radio back on and "codE" will be displayed again and you can enter the code as described above.