Cardoctor74
Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician
3827149

Mitsubishi Outlander full time 4WD noise from rear end

Customer Question

2007 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.0 Sport (Full time 4WD, gasoline engine, european model, oldest type), gives a noise from the back when accelerating from very slow speed / RPM. Usually in situation where the car is barely moving in 2nd gear and then accelerating moderately. Sound like some kind of resonation from exhaust, but not sure, it varies a little bit. Sometimes it sounds like rearmost muffler touching the body. In service the exhaust was checked and did not leak and was properly attached. Read brakes was also serviced (new discs and pads). Service did not find anything, but said if the sound gets louder, bring the car back. Rear differential oil has been changed a year ago. Could the rear differential fitting be loose and cause it to move under torque? Or maybe inside of the exhaust is worn-out?
(I'm sorry for my english, my technical car vocabulary isn't very good!)
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Cardoctor74 replied 6 years ago.
Yes the rear differential bushings can be worn and when torques twist and caue this noise . I would have this checked next . Hoped this helped . Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.