Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Eclipse GS how do you change the waterpump on a

Customer Question
how do you change the...
how do you change the waterpump on a 1999 eclipse 2.0 nonturbo .does the engine have to be removed?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
4/12/2011
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

The engine does NOT need to be removed to change the water pump. While it is a tight fit and certainly not the most fun job to do, it can be done with the engine installed.

Replacing the water pump requires timing belt removal, and needs to be performed by someone either very familiar with, or at least comfortable with timing belt replacements. A mistake during reassembly will destroy the cylinder head on crank-up.

To remove the timing belt, you will need to remove the following in this order:
1) Power steering pump
2) Power steering pump bracket
3) Engine mount
4) Engine mount bracket
5) Timing cover
-
Mark all pulleys for re-alignment
-
6) Timing belt

Once apart, the water pump can be unbolted and removed/replaced.

Regarding the headgasket, yes it is possible for it to leak oil, and is not terribly uncommon. The only repair you can make for this is a head gasket replacement however, which requires head removal; unfortunately there is no way around it.
how can you tell if the headgasket is leaking oil? and can it be driven with it like this?
If the headgasket is leaking oil, it will be an external leak; you will be able to see oil escaping where the head meets the block.
While it isn't the best thing in the world to drive it like this, thousands of non-turbo eclipses and neons with this engine do it every day. It should be fixed, however the primary side effects are messy oil drips and potential to run the engine low on oil if you don't keep an eye on the level.

This should not be confused with a headgasket that is leaking coolant; this is a very different circumstance that should never be driven on. To verify a coolant leak from the headgasket, you would want to check your coolant for signs of oil, your oil for signs of coolant, and finally have the cooling system either pressure tested or sniffed with a carbon monoxide detector to verify if it failed.

Same story goes with this type of failure, repair would require head removal.

Again, if it is oil leaking externally... can be driven on temporarily, but would recommend fixing ASAP; coolant leaking you would want to park the car until it can be repaired, or risk much greater damage.
this is the last question on this issue. where should i look to see oil leaking from the headgasket?
No problem at all.

The mating surface between the bottom of the cylinder head and the top of the engine block is where you will see oil exiting if the head gasket is leaking oil.

When this is leaking, you will often notice dampness at the very bottom of the cylinder head but notable dryness above it.

It is a bit difficult to see in the car from above, it is easier to inspect from below, but here is a picture out of the car to give you an idea where to poke your head around; the arrows point at the mating surface between the head and the block; if you see oil at this location or below (on either side) but NOT above it, the head gasket is likely leaking:
graphic

Be aware if you have signs of oil above this line, you may only have a much simpler leak.... since the oil won't drip upwards, if the oil is far above the bottom of the cylinder head area, you likely have a valve cover gasket leaking that you would want to fix first and then see if the lower areas stay dry after that repair.
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician