Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 Mitsubishi Galant: What oil type and how many quarts?

Customer Question
Mitsubishi Galant 2005: What type...

Mitsubishi Galant 2005: What type of oil can I use, and how many quarts does it take in this car?

Country: United States
Make: Mitsubishi
Model: Galant ES
Year: 2005

Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
3/16/2011
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

For the best fuel economy and cold weather starting performance, Mitsubishi recommends 5w20 oil for this vehicle.
10w30 is listed as an acceptable weight for this vehicle as well provided the vehicle is not operated in temperatures at or near -15F. Mitsubishi strongly suggests 5w20 however, especially if the vehicle is to be used in extreme cold.

The 2.4L four cylinder engine calls for 4.2 quarts of oil and an additional 0.3 quarts if the filter is changed (4.5 quarts total)

The 3.8L V6 engine calls for 4.5 quarts of oil and an additional 0.3 quarts if the filter is changed (4.8 quarts total)
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician