Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
19127644

I was honorable discharged in 1984 after 1 year 3 months of

I was honorable discharged in 1984 after 1 year 3 months of service in the Air Force. The reason stated on the dd 214 is Voluntart Misc. Reasons. Here is what happen
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: After 2 weeks in the Air Force, my brother went hiking by himself on a 6 hour hike, but after 3 hours into his hike it rain cats and dogs for actually 4 days. My dad was to pick him up at the other side of the forest at 4pm. Dad waited for a hour and then panicked and call the local sheriff. My brother came and was never found. Search and rescude refused to go until the rain stopped which was 4 days later. Later, dad 6 mnths later had a cardica arrest and had cpr and brought back to life but had 3 months hosptializationa and was on downhill. My family was over whelm with taking care dad. I requested a humaritan transfer to a base closely to my home near dad. I was denied. The red cross verified the situation and communicated to the Air Force the truth of the situation of these things. I was granted Honorable Discharge under Voluntary MIs. reasons
JA: Have you talked to a JAG attorney about this? Or anyone in the chain of command?
Customer: So years when I reviewed my discharge papers, I thought I had eligible for Coe. I applied and was denied. Can you help
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: so I assumed it was under hardship for the reason for separation and not voluntary? I asked the vet admin at the time a few years back and they stated they could not access the files since it was too long ago to see the red cross paperwork verifying the situation.

Can you please tell me what your Separation code (3 letters) is on your DD-214?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Looks very faded but think iit statez KND
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
KND

Thank you for that information. If it was KND, then that signifies "misc/general reasons" for the discharge, which seems to be consistent with what you say the narrative reason for your discharge was. You don't say what the VA says the reason for your denial of your COE was, but if it was because you did not meet the minimum service requirements, which is what I suspect that it was for, then you would have had to be discharged with a separation code that is consistent with one of these factors:

• Hardship, or
  • The convenience of the government (you must have served at least 20 months of a 2-year enlistment), or
  • Early out (you must have served 21 months of a 2-year enlistment), or
  • Reduction in force, or
  • Certain medical conditions, or
  • A service-connected disability (a disability related to your military service)

Your discharge/separation code is not the same as the ones required. Therefore, if you want to try to get your separation code and narrative reason changed, you would have to file a petition with the AF Board for Correction of Military Records to change the code and reason. This is a link to their Site: https://boards.law.af.mil/AF_BCMR.htm

It does take quite a while though to get an outcome from them (months to a few years). Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Expert thankyou
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
thank you , expert advice

You're very welcome.