How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JKEsq Your Own Question
JKEsq, Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 8268
Experience:  Managing law firm partner
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
JKEsq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to upgrade my dishonorable discharge.

This answer was rated:

I would like to upgrade my dishonorable discharge.
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Stateside
JA: Have you talked to a JAG attorney about this? Or anyone in the chain of command?
Customer: No !!!!
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My discharge was in 1988, and is there's a chance for an upgrade?

Hello I will be the attorney assisting you today. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. You may receive an offer from the site for a phone call that I have no control over being offered to you. This is an optional paid service and another expert would call you when available as I do not participate in calls as an actively practicing attorney.


You have 15 years from the date of your discharge to apply for an upgrade to your discharge status or the reason for your discharge through the Discharge Review Board (DRB); the traditional application to upgrade a discharge.


If it’s been longer than 15 years, even though the DRB can't help, you can still request a “correction” to your military records from the Board of Corrections for Military Records (BCMR). There is a three-year statute of limitations for submitting requests to the Board of Corrections for Military Records but very frequently BCMRs accept late applications as long as a good reason for the delay is provided.


You would need a DD149 for this Applications should include all available evidence, such as signed statements of witnesses or a brief of arguments supporting the requested correction. You may want a local military lawyer (use a site like Avvo to find one locally) to help you as you may only get 1 shot at this correction and someone with experience helping you fill it out may help






Please let me know if you have any questions about my reply or in general. I'll be glad to answer them.
If I've answered your question fully I would greatly appreciate a 3-5 star (hopefully 5) rating at the top right of this chat box ★★★★★ and hit "Submit." See how to rate.

If the star rating does not show, please reply "5 stars" (however many you are leaving from 3-5 as 5 is the max) or "thank you" so I can submit it manually to the site for credit.

That is the only way I get paid by the site for my time replying to the inquiry as I am a practicing licensed attorney and not an employee of this website. It costs you nothing to give a rating.

The site says you have read my answer and had no reply and asked no further question(s). Is there something else I can answer that is preventing you from rating my service and answer 3-5 starts (top of the chat box 5 stars are there ★★★★★) so that this site pays me for my time answering? See how to rate.

You can also reply "thank you," or "5 stars" " (however many you are leaving from 3-5 as 5 is the max) if the rating does not come up.

Otherwise I do not get compensated for this question by the site. Rating 3-5 stars costs you $0 to do and a few seconds of time to click or reply with "thank you" or "5 stars" Thus, I would kindly ask that you rate or reply with a thank you.


Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks !!!!! 5

Very welcome!

JKEsq and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you