Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

What was the age of consent in 1983 concerning any type of…

Customer Question
What was the age...

What was the age of consent in 1983 concerning any type of sexual activity with a 17 year old.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No. I am retired

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This incident happened in 1983, 36 years ago. I was in the military at the time stationed in Germany. My boss was aware of a very short term of relationship.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Military Law
5/29/2018
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

The military age of consent is 16 and has been since its inception. The military also uses the age of consent in the local jurisdiction, so military members have two to be concerned with. In Germany though, their age of consent is also 16 and has been since shortly after the reunification.

So, the age of consent for either jurisdiction was 16.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care, have a great day and please don’t forget to rate my service.