Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Beare with me i type preety slow. Yes sullivan and, i am a…

Customer Question
Beare with me i...

Beare with me i type preety slow. Yes my name is ***** ***** and, i am a veteran of the us airforce. I travled around the world entertaining military and civilians. On my last tour we where in the philippines and i was gang rape by 3 of the members on the same show. It happend a while ago, but the way i feel it feels like it happend yesterday. What are the statue of limitation, it happen in 1981

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I reported to the tour director, but he made it hard for me, he told me the they would make it even harder, so when the tour was over my life was was on the line. So i started acting up so that i could leave the military. I have had alot of tharaphy. Even the cheif of military told me not to say anything.

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Military Law
5/29/2018
Military Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 21 days ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. There is no statute of limitations on rape under the UCMJ. However, someone who was active-duty in 1981 would no longer be active-duty or subject to the UCMJ. Therefore, if you wanted to try to pursue this as a criminal case, you would need to file a complaint with the Department of Justice and see if the Federal prosecutors would be willing to file charges in Federal civilian court, since they would be the ones who would now have jurisdiction over the individuals who assaulted you, assuming they are U.S. citizens or residents.

All that said, these types of cases are very hard to pursue or prevail on so many years after the fact. You still have the right to report it, but just be prepared for this to potentially not be pursued by Federal prosecutors.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Military Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 20 days ago

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 29th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.