Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Wife and I entered a lease for a house on 24 APR 18 with a…

Customer Question
Wife and I entered a...
Wife and I entered a lease for a house on 24 APR 18 with a move in date of 1 JUL 18. We are both active military. I, the husband received deployment orders for 9 months. I sent a copy of my orders and a 30 day notice yesterday asking for our security deposit back in full. The landlord still has 30 days to find a new tentat. The way SASCRA reads we should be in the clear getting our deposit back regardless if only I have orders?
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Military Law
5/26/2018
Military Lawyer: NYCLAWYER, Lawyer replied 27 days ago
NYCLAWYER
NYCLAWYER, Lawyer
Correct. Deposit must be returned. If landlord refuses, If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage.If the other side considers risk, legal fees and time you should get the outcome you seekPlease let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Excellent. Please click on the 5 star rating (*****) on the question page - that’s how I get credit for my time by the site. If you dont see the rating button, please just reply “5 stars” Much appreciated!
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
5 stars
Much appreciated.