Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My daughter has received a 4 year AROTC scholarship. when…

Customer Question
Hi my daughter has...

Hi my daughter has received a 4 year AROTC scholarship. when she was a minor one of her boyfriends called the police and told them she was suicidal when the police arrived at the home she was making a sandwich but since someone called they baker acted her without even calling her parents. I tried hard to get her out but here in Florida it's virtually impossible. My question is does this disqualify her?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No who would I talk to?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Military Law
She has been admitted to VMI and her goal is to serve in the military as an officer. She never took any medications never had a problem before or after this was handled completely wrong by the officer. I tried to call him for days left several messages but he never returned my call. We really need to get this straighten out so it never interferes with her future. Thanks and please let me know what we can do
5/26/2018
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 2 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Sorry...I am not sure I understand...you state that she is a scholarship student...but then you are asking if she is qualified...that makes no sense...

Did she receive a ROTC contract?

Sorry she just graduated high school and has been awarded a 4 year AROTC scholarship she intends to use at VMI starting this fall. She just received paperwork to complete and return one is the contract and another is the security clearance form

So she has not signed the contract yet? Is that correct? She has not gone through the screening process required for induction?

That is correct.
She's really a good student hard working dedicated responsible she would be an assist to the military
Would you like to talk to her over the phone?

Thank you

In that case, she is still in the "contract negotiation phase"...she is NOT a contract cadet.

What you are describing WILL be an issue. If she was committed, against her will, to a mental institution that will require a waiver to enter the service...so she will need this waiver BEFORE they issue her a contract.

Waivers are tough to get today, particularly for mental health issue.

That said, perhaps not impossible. You should work with the recruiter to see if they are willing to help you submit a waiver...if you can provide evidence that she does not have any mental health issues? IT may be she can obtain a waiver

I would be happy to speak on the phone

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil