Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I'm trying to help my sons friend since he has no family to…

Customer Question
I'm trying to help...

I'm trying to help my sons friend since he has no family to speak of. While in the military, right after his dad suddenly died he received a DUI and received a regular DC from military at the regular time. Since he didn't have an honorable DC is there a way to get his GI bill back?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No, he is struggling with were to start and how?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This young man want to do some schooling and training for wilderness firefighting, EMT/Parametic.....

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Military Law
5/2/2018
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

The GI Bill requires an honorable discharge. To change his discharge status, he would have to file to have his discharge upgraded. He can file through the DD Form 293 process, seeking to upgrade the discharge.

However, it is not easy. Few are upgraded. To upgrade a discharge, you have to show that the discharge was an error or an injustice at the time you received it (so positive life changes since then aren't really relevant).

He can certainly argue the effect that his father's death had on him; however, it is possible that was already take into consideration by the command when he was separated. I don't know what separation he received, but if it was a General discharge, that isn't the worst he could have gotten...so the board might consider that he already received the consideration for those facts. The board can also decide to be more lenient.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care, have a great day and please don’t forget to rate my service.