Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I am a geographical bachelor that had a serious training…

Customer Question
I am a geographical bachelor...
I am a geographical bachelor that had a serious training accident (brain injury, and bulging discs) from a 50ft canopy collapse.I spent 4 months in a TBI rehab center as an outpatient which was located 2 hours from where my family is, yet far away from my command. I still am having a lot of symptoms, neck pain, migraines, cognitive/emotional issues that make my job extremely difficult. I am opting for a med board. I have 16 years left to retire and My job is extremely physical. I dont think my back or brain will heal in a timely manner.Its difficult for me to pack my bags in the morning. I get disoriented, have pretty bad anxiety/depression. My wife and kids live out of town and can't just move to where I am because of careers and school etc.I just want to make sure I get a fair deal from my command and the Navy for my med board. My injury was the worst the command has seen and I feel like nobody knows what to do with me.I'd love to be able to recover closer to home but they are not being very cooperative about that. They've mentioned applying for TSGLI but like I said, i am not operating at a really high level right now and this is all more overwhelming than it would have been before the accident.I just need advice on who to turn to make sure I get a fair shake at getting better and the med board. I've been told 1-2 years for a full brain recovery if I do the right things. Even then maybe 95% recovery. I need to go back to school and get retrained in something that will be less physical. But I am having trouble with reading comprehension, and attention. All of this is very scary and I just hear a lot of guys not getting a fair deal. I have a family to take care of and owe it to them to heal, and to be able to provide.Thank you
Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Military Law
4/1/2018
Military Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 23 days ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

TSGLI is insurance money that will assist you and your family financially and it is something you should consider applying for.

As far as your injury and recovery, they can med board you and upon doing so with your disability you would be able to return to your home and be placed into a rehabilitation program there paid for through your military coverage. The med board speed is up to your command and how fast your command will push to have your med board approved.

The military will have to pay you for your disability as well as for retraining when you reach that point in your recovery as well, but you need to start by working with the social workers to get you into a rehab program closer to your home and family and also get you applied for the TSGLI to get financial benefits in place to help support both you and your family during this time in addition to your regular military disability benefits.

JAG can also assist you to review any documents they give you to make sure that you understand them before you sign agreeing to anything and you should go to your local JAG office to get that assistance as well.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Thank you for the informative information. The command wont send me out of the area for rehab. I am stationed in VB and they want to send me to TAMPA, not SoCal where my family is. I have tried everything but they just wont budge. I have been placed on LimDu and i told my doctor I'd like to med board so hopefully everything heads that direction.
Military Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 18 days ago

Thank you for your reply

The problem is you are at the mercy of your command. So all you can do is ask. If the command refuses, you have to remain until they can and will med board you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney