Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I assumed I would have been issued a dd214 after time in…

Customer Question
I assumed I would...

I assumed I would have been issued a dd214 after time in USAR but archives in St. Loius says nothing there. Is it possible to get one still, even though I only did active time on training? My motivation to do so is strictly so I can register as a veteran owned small business.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I have not, but was discharged from my reserve obligation 10 years ago so would have to do some digging to find out how to contact.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, a few years active reserve, total reserve commitment 8 years. OBC in san antonio and active duty on at least 2 other occasions

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/30/2018
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 4 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But I do not understand your specific question. Did you serve on active duty?

Sure, 2 weeks at a time

Thanks
That would not qualify. To qualify for a DD214 you must be "activated" on federal orders (title 10). So the 2 weeks training each year will not qualify you for a DD214

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

When in active duty I did receive orders each time
Can't be activated without orders but I don't know if title 10 or what

The "AT" (annual training) that you do once a year for 2 weeks is NOT title 10 activation. It is not, actually, considered "active duty"...they call it "active duty for training". So there is no DD214 issued.
You only receive a DD214 when you are activated for a contingency (like if you were activated for Desert Storm).

You would be eligible for a DD256...this is the form that shows you completed your service obligation. But not a DD214