Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My BN Commander appointed an IO to investigate an incident…

Customer Question
My BN Commander appointed...

My BN Commander appointed an IO to investigate an incident between myself and a subordinate NCO that happened outside of work. We had a verbal altercation at a bar where security came to break us up because they thought it was going to get physical. We told security it wasn't that serious and I elected to go outside to gather my thoughts. The other NCO and his friends ended up leaving the bar. I went back into the bar and finished my night with my buddies. When we were leaving, I wrote my NCO and told him that we were fussing over something dumb and we needed to get over it. He invited me to his house sobe a could talk out our issues. He met me outside of apartment so we could talk. We were a little loud trying to argue our points and someone called the police. The police said it was dumb to file a report, didn't collect any information and left. I wrote my senior leader telling him what happened and that my NCO and I handled it. When we got back to work on Monday, my senior leader called me to his office where the BN CSM was waiting for me. The CSM asked me what happened that night with me and my NCO because my senior leader told him about it. I felt backed into a corner and told my CSM that I told my junior NCO that we can take it outside and handle it. My CSM took it as me saying that we could fight it out. So my CSM told the BN CDR to initiate an investigation on senior leader misconduct. Is that senior leader misconduct? I know I shouldn't have told him that if I wasn't sure about what was said but I also didn't know he would twist my words to make it like I was fighting. So they flagged me for CDR investigation. A week later the IO called me and told me I was the last person he had to investigate so we did it over the phone since I was out of town on leave. The IO said he had all he needed and will be closing everything out. I've been asking for 2 weeks now what is taking so long since I still haven't heard anything and all they've been saying is my packet is at legal. So today I get a call from the same IO saying he needs to meet with me to do a sworn statement so he can close the investigation out. Why do I have to do a sworn statement if I already told them what happened? Why am I don't a sworn statement anyway if no one else did a sworn statement because we were all interviewed over the phone because we were on leave and now everyone else that was involved is now deployed? They moved me from my unit and let them deploy. Can the keep me from going back with my unit of nothing is founded with this investigation? Cause that's what they are trying to do because they think that I'm going to either give my NCO a good or bad evaluation because of the incident. I feel they are trying to get simmering on official documentation with the sworn statement so they can punish me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

I'm stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

About which part

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that's everything

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Military Law
3/30/2018
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 3 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me, did you provide a verbal statement to the IO initially?