Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I need to get my man home to las vegas and wondering if I as…

Customer Question
I need to get...

I need to get my man home to las vegas and wondering if I as an united airlines employee get him home

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

We just discussed this tonight He is a Major Captain Stationed in Kabul Afganistan

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Military Law
3/29/2018
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 22 days ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

(The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. I intend to just use this chat format as I am not accepting phone calls at this time).

I just need to ask you a few questions, because your post is a little confusing.

How do you know this person? Did you meet them through social media? What is it that you are being asked to do? Are you being asked to send money anywhere?

Did you say that his rank was Major Captain?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Met him on the internet get him home to Las Vegas NV as he stationed Kabul Afganaistan He is a Major Captain He didn't ask for money just help him get home

What help has he asked for to get him home? Specifically?

I need to understand this, because the military does things very precisely and only a person in the military would actually know.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
He just wants to come hone

Ok. Let me tell you a few things that concern me here.

First, there is no such things as the rank Major Captain in the military. Those are, in fact, two separate ranks. That is problem one.

Second, when we come back from deployments, we don't fly United. We fly specially chartered aircraft or military aircraft, or a combination of the two, and we NEVER have to pay to get home. In a deployed environment, there is literally nothing that a civilian could ever do to help us get home. That is entirely a government function. So the fact that you are being asked to help, at all, makes no sense from a military standpoint.

Third, you met this person through social media. I have seen hundreds of these alleged relationships develop through social media which are nothing more than scams. I see it once or twice a week here at JA, where people like yourself are asking questions about getting a military member home from a deployed location, and in every instance, it ends with the person being asked to send money for some application or processing fee....and it is sent Western Union to an account in an African nation, where it can never be retrieved again.

From everything that you have said, and the apparent lack of military understanding of the person you are speaking to, it is clear to me that you are being scammed and will eventually be asked for money or account information as a means to steal your identity.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care, have a great day and please don’t forget to rate my service.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Cancel my request and refund my money

Could you perhaps explain why?

I can understand that I may not have given you good news here, but my job is to protect people. Did I fail to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Didn’t know you would charge my account an additional $35 when I thought it was free

I'll certainly tell customer service to process a refund, but I just wanted to understand where you are coming from here.

I can tell you that I am certain of my answer, though I'm not happy to have to give you that news.

I'm sorry. I will tell them to refund your money.

This is expected to be a paid site though when you have reviewed an answer and feel that it is worthy of payment.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I understand that the info you gave me is correct I still didn’t know about the additional chare

Ok. I'll tell customer service to give you your money back.

Good day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer