Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Just checking to see what benefits are available to someone…

Customer Question
Just checking to see...

Just checking to see what benefits are available to someone was in Marine Corps and received a BCD SPCM

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

No I was discharged in 1978

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I've contacted veteran affairs

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Military Law
3/28/2018
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

(The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. I intend to just use this chat format as I am not accepting phone calls at this time).

A bad conduct discharge through a court martial would remove any benefits being available. The rule for any VA benefits is that the person not have been discharged under dishonorable circumstances. With a bad conduct or dishonorable discharge, there are no benefits. With an other than honorable discharge (through an administrative discharge board) there may be benefits, but the VA has to make an individual determination. With a General or Honorable, there would be potential benefits.

Regrettably, your discharge status disqualifies you for any benefits.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care, have a great day and please don’t forget to rate my service.