Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

If I have to reclassify what are my options when the navy is…

If I have to...

If I have to reclassify what are my options when the navy is telling me the jobs I want to do are not available and they gave me a list of 5 jobs that I can only do

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

A school in Great Lakes I was in the SO program but I got dropped and for the last week I’ve been waiting to hear about a opening for hospital corpsman .... finally today I was told I have to pick a different job by 2 and all of the jobs are nothing I wanted and I noticed they don’t need any type of schooling for them..... I feel like they are just screwing me over to fill a quota

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Who would I speak with?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that covers it

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/28/2018
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But I do not understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this matter?

I wanted to know what all my options are? Do I have to take one of the aviation jobs from his list or can I wait for hospital corpsman opens up? Who would the best person to speak with in Great Lakes ?

You do not have any real "rights" in this regard. If you are required to reclass, the Navy can reassign you as they please. The do not have go allow you to "wait" for a job you like. They can put you in any job they see fit, to meet the needs of the Navy.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can demand a particular job, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Phone call session started